Start new topic
OOC: This Expanision Thing
Posted: Oct 18 2005, 02:43 PM
PMEmail Poster

For the record, I think Nojika's right - however we go about this, the region as a whole should be involved. Star's simple poll idea should be more than adequate.

I know, I'm not really saying anything new here, just letting you know that I agree that it has been getting out of hand over the last couple months.
Bedistan
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Oct 19 2005, 12:00 AM
PMEmail Poster

I think any votes regarding expansion should involve the entire region and if the land is near an established country, that country should give OOC consent to it. Say Xile decides he wants the land Chacor is/was on. Sarzonia for IC reasons would vote absolutely not, but might vote yes for OOC reasons (perhaps with a worked-out war RP).

Or, if Doujin came back to AO (which from the sounds of it won't happen) and if I still had OOC hostility toward him, I'd vote no for OOC reasons because I wouldn't want part of Doujin breathing down my neck.
Sarzonia
It's all about the Navy.
Quote Post

Posted: Oct 19 2005, 12:16 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

With IC objections, though, we could end up with an AO version of the Korean and Vietnam wars every week.

With that said, keep in mind that it would not make sense to base decisions on simply on OOC reasons. Also, if the expansion of a nation was disapproved by the region, then there would be no wars etc. And if the expansion was approved by the majority of the region, then there might be some small skirmishes etc, but I doubt there will be few if any major conflicts. Regaurdless, this game is all about roleplaying and if a war were to occur because of expansion, all it does is get the region active in something other than sports roleplay, right? Meh...

So, for any future expansions (as we surely can't do this retrospectively) the following type of thread is required:

QUOTE ("Nation A requests to move in to Land X")

IC:

Too many people not enough land (and lots of other paragraphs)

OOC:

I want a new place to start a new fundamentalist Ahmish province in my nation, with all sorts of fallout from repressing out hardy ahmish folks.

A poll is attached to this, too, where y'all can vote. Plus people should reply of course. One the poll is a clear 'yes' or 'no', then the real RPing an aquisition can begin.

That is more or less what I was trying to say in my post -- but with a lot more word.

biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Nojika on Oct 19 2005, 12:22 AM
Nojika
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Integrity Messenger IMAOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: Oct 19 2005, 05:01 AM

I think, judging by Sarz's comments, that we'd have to weigh up both IC and OOC decisions.

With a situation of Xile taking over Chacor's land, for example, Sarzonia could vote 'yes' on the poll, but ICly say 'you sacrosanct arseholes aint never gonna take that land!' in preparation for big long RPs when it happens.

It's an odd combination of IC, OOC and "what's best for the region", but i think we can sort something out.

Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Oct 19 2005, 11:32 PM
PMEmail Poster

After reading all this (and being part of an expansion, seeing Legalese disappearing into Starblaydia and TLC), I have to agree with the consensus that the Regional Council take an active role in approving/rejecting expansion requests. As such, how about taking what's been said here, and making it as such?

-All nations wishing to expand must create a thread in the Regional Council section entitled "[Nation] requests expansion into [Land #, or fmr Nation, if not numbered]".

-Inside this thread, the nation should offer IC and OOC reasons for this expansion, including a detailed explanation of the land requested.

-Upon reading such, and answering comments, the request shall be put to a vote, which shall last at least 72 hours (maybe a week, even?). If 2/3 of the voting nations (not including the requesting nation) vote in favor, the expansion is approved, and the RPing of the expansion can then begin. Bedistan (or whoever is the mapmaker at that point) will also then be able to reflect the expansion on the AO map.

Also, I agree that Land 18 should be partitioned, which could be discussed semi-OOC/IC-ly in the Regional Council thread by the occupants.
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted: Oct 20 2005, 12:09 AM

I have to agree with the consensus that the Regional Council take an active role in approving/rejecting expansion requests.

I think most everybody has agreed that the decision should be left to the region as a whole. With whom are you in agreeance with?

tongue.gif

...the request shall be put to a vote, which shall last at least 72 hours...If 2/3 of the voting nations...

My suggestion is to have the the vote period last at least 1 week. This would allow members whom are working and are busy OOC the oppurtunity to vote as well. I also suggest that the final decision be based on how the majority of the voting nations voted as opposed to 2/3. This is because if 2 nations vote "Yes" expansion by a certain nation is permitted and 1 nation votes "No" that expansion should not be permitted, we are not given a clear picture of how the region as a whole stands on the issue, in my opinion, that is.
Nojika
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Integrity Messenger IMAOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: Oct 20 2005, 11:53 PM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Nojika @ Oct 20 2005, 01:09 AM)

I have to agree with the consensus that the Regional Council take an active role in approving/rejecting expansion requests.

I think most everybody has agreed that the decision should be left to the region as a whole. With whom are you in agreeance with?

tongue.gif

Argh... by Regional Council, I was referring to the "Council" which included every nation in AO, which therefore is effectively the entire region. If that remains, then yes, I'm in agreement with the seeming consensus, though I guess that did require a touch of clarification. tongue.gif
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted: Oct 21 2005, 08:02 AM
PMEmail Poster

Who would have figured Sarzonia would use me as an example? Hah.

btw sarz - I still want to buy some ships from you, if I can ever get my mind wrapped around the idea and you don't sabotage them dry.gif .

I agree with the rest of you that the whole region should be allowed to vote on these proposed expansions, but I still believe creating some regions of power and affluence in the region besides those created by military prowess would be a good idea. Like I have said many times, it would give people something ELSE to shoot for, since the delegate position and AORDO is wrapped up pretty tightly.

So, bash your heads against that one for a while.
Xile
Punch-Drunk Psychosis
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted: Oct 22 2005, 06:00 AM

QUOTE (Xile @ Oct 21 2005, 02:02 PM)
Like I have said many times, it would give people something ELSE to shoot for, since the delegate position and AORDO is wrapped up pretty tightly.

So, bash your heads against that one for a while.

Latao proposed a G8 for AO, so that's based on economy, of course (yey! no Lamoni!!!).

What the hell else could there be?
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Oct 22 2005, 06:53 PM

Latao proposed a G8 for AO, so that's based on economy, of course (yey! no Lamoni!!!).

You wouldn't want to give me incentive to improve my national economy, now would you? wink.gif tongue.gif
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: Oct 23 2005, 04:18 AM

Co-operation of the leading economies in the region still is an idea that makes sense. The hard working people of Nyssa take the fifth place of the most productive countries in Atlantian Oceania. This means, the nation's young economy is yet more competitive than all of its former war rivals.

In the sense of that read, we could like to ask again if spot 18 is to be split into three or four pieces so that Nyssa can finally have its official land in the east of the spot.
Latao
Emperor
Quote Post

Posted: Oct 23 2005, 07:58 AM

QUOTE (Lamoni @ Oct 23 2005, 12:53 AM)

You wouldn't want to give me incentive to improve my national economy, now would you? wink.gif tongue.gif

The fact that its absolutely -explicitive removed- in the first place and that your nation could barely afford to hire a plane to fly your president around, let alone own one, isnt enough already?
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Oct 23 2005, 08:59 AM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Starblaydia @ Oct 23 2005, 07:58 AM)

The fact that its absolutely -explicitive removed- in the first place and that your nation could barely afford to hire a plane to fly your president around, let alone own one, isnt enough already?

I think they want cupholders.
Hockey Canada
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

YahooMSNTop

Posted: Oct 23 2005, 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Latao @ Oct 23 2005, 10:18 AM)
we could like to ask again if spot 18 is to be split into three or four pieces so that Nyssa can finally have its official land in the east of the spot.

This isn't the map thread tongue.gif
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Oct 23 2005, 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Starblaydia @ Oct 23 2005, 05:58 AM)

I was making a joke. tongue.gif
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart PollStart new topic
Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3 

[ Script Execution time: 0.0199 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->