yes [ 2 ]  [33.33%]
no [ 4 ]  [66.67%]
abstain [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Votes: 6
Guests cannot vote 
Posted on Sep 17 2004, 10:16 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

The Law of the Sea

A resolution to reduce barriers to free trade and commerce.

Category: Free Trade
Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Serconea

Description: The United Nations,

RESOLVES:
1. That all areas of sea more than 20 kilometres from an internationally recognised settled landmass or scientific research station are described as international waters. The UN may permit archipelagos to have the 20 kilometre limit start from the outside islands and allow waters inside the archipelago to be claimed by the nation who owns it.
2. That all 'international waters' shall be outside the sovereignty of any member nation and that no nation can claim to have sovereignty over them.
3. That all nations shall have in or above international waters, unless in a Maritime Preservation Zone:
a) Freedom to fish in designated fishing areas, subject to UN quotas.
cool.gif Freedom to fly
c) Freedom of navigation
d) Freedom to lay cables, pipelines and underwater installations, unless in a Maritime Preservation Zone
4. That a UN Commission be established to determine areas of outstanding marine beauty or high ecological sensitivity and designate them Maritime Preservation Zones.
5. An International Maritime Standards Bureau will be created to set international rules on navigation, working hours and other matters it deems appropriate to ensure safety at sea.
6. All states can have ships under their flag. Any state may establish a registry for ships permitted to fly their nations flag. These vessels must be duly owned and operated by citizens of the respective country to be allowed to register with said country. No state shall permit the establishment of a "flag of convenience". Any vessel receiving an "SOS" or distress call should render immediate assistance, no matter their country of origin or current war status.
7. All states shall ensure that vessels under their flag are built and kept to proper seaworthy standards, as defined by the International Maritime Standards Bureau.
8. Piracy is prohibited in international and territorial waters.
9. Piracy shall be defined as any illegal acts of violence, detention, theft or damage committed by a private vessel or aircraft, or its crew or passengers, against another vessel or aircraft, or the passengers, crew or property of the latter. "Illegal" will be defined by bilateral diplomacy, with the UN intervening if the two nations cannot agree.
10. That all nations will do their utmost to tackle piracy in international waters.
11. That no nation shall shelter pirates. Nations may only employ privateers (which are defined as pirates who work officially for a government) in a time of declared war.
12. That any flagged warship may board a ship if it has reasonable grounds to believe it is engaged in an international crime, such as but not limited to terrorism, piracy or smuggling. If the search finds nothing, the boarded ship shall be compensated by the warship's nation to a mutually agreeable value. A database of searches shall be kept by the UN to aid law enforcement. On boarding or attacking a vessel, the warship must immediately run up its national colours or the action will be considered an act of piracy.
13. That all nations shall strive to prevent pollution of international waters and harm to marine wildlife, except where the UN has permitted fishing.
14. All UN resolutions affecting member nations also apply to actions carried out by them or their citizens in international waters.
15. All nations with navigable waterways linking their coast and a landlocked country are encouraged to reach agreements on their use by vessels of the latter country.

Votes For: 3468

Votes Against: 1008

[Delegate Votes]

Voting Ends: Tue Sep 21 2004
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted on Sep 18 2004, 11:13 AM
PMEmail Poster

How did this even reach quorum? I don't want ANYONE building ANYTHING that close to my regional waters.
Xile
Punch-Drunk Psychosis
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted on Sep 18 2004, 04:18 PM

QUOTE (Xile @ Sep 18 2004, 11:13 AM)
How did this even reach quorum? I don't want ANYONE building ANYTHING that close to my regional waters.

Maybe not, but it DOES give you protection for those 20 KM, Xile.
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted on Sep 18 2004, 08:40 PM
PMEmail Poster

20 kilometers isn't that far, and therefore I will be voting against this resolution. That would be easy access for an air strike from ship, with plenty of room left for error since planes could make that flight easily with little need for fuel.
Abattoir
Pinprick of Apathy
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted on Sep 19 2004, 09:39 PM

QUOTE (Abattoir @ Sep 18 2004, 08:40 PM)
20 kilometers isn't that far, and therefore I will be voting against this resolution. That would be easy access for an air strike from ship, with plenty of room left for error since planes could make that flight easily with little need for fuel.

I know that 20 KM isn't that far, but it is better than the nothing that we have at present, is it not?

Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted on Sep 20 2004, 01:53 AM
PMEmail Poster

...eh, i need more to be mine if i want to agree on anything like that. Like, i'd need to connect me island with me expedition area...can't happen if UN claims what is in between to be International waters. The soverienty of Balaal thus rejects this motion.

Dear regards, Queen Masira, ~o~
Masira
Inexperienced
Quote Post

Posted on Sep 20 2004, 03:55 PM

The delegate has voted no as per regional opinion.
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted on Sep 23 2004, 10:47 AM
PMEmail Poster

The 20 km is just over 12 miles, and 12 miles is considered national jurisdiction in the RL world.

There are some loopholes that Axis Nova is trying to take advantage of in I.I.
Sarzonia
It's all about the Navy.
Quote Post

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0227 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->