Start new topic
Starblaydia Campaign For Delegacy
Posted: Jul 28 2004, 12:21 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Vote Starblaydia for UN Delegacy - The Best Choice
Your endorsement can help make Atlantian Oceania a better Region for all

We enter a cosy office. A lovely fireplace is aglow with flame, there is a large wooden desk with a friendly-looking man sitting behind it, smiling at the camera. On the wall are maps of Atlantian Oceania and Starblaydia, along with a blue United Nations flag and the black-purple-white of Starblaydia. The man speaks.

"Hello there, friends,

My name is Benjamin Mackey, and I'm currently Starblaydia's United Nations representative. It's my job to give the people of Starblaydia a voice in the UN, which is a group of nations who have formed a world-wide organisation for the betterment of everyone who lives on this planet."

He gets up from his big leather chair and walks around the desk to sit on it's edge.

"Now, you may be wondering why I'm on your TV screens, as your opinions won't affect my job, right? Well, actually, all this is about to change." Benjamin looks thoughtful for a moment. "Under new Regional proposals, you'll have the power to elect our Regional Delegate and I'd like you to vote for me. 'Why vote for Benjamin Mackey of Starblaydia?', you may ask yourselves, well, here's why..."

Benjamin turns to the side, where another camera picks up his smiling face. Behind him is a window leading to a well-kept, luch garden. You can see the fireplace reflected in his smart glasses.

"Since I was appointed by the Lord-Protector when Starblaydia first joined the UN, many moons ago," he smiles again, "I have voted on each and every United Nations Resolution that has been put before it's members. I have debated in the UN's chamber, speaking out on issues that I personally believe in, that affect every one of us. Let me tell you a little something about my voting."

Over a faded, blurred image of the UN flag, text appears on the screen

FOR The Bio-Rights Declaration
FOR The "Reduce Black Market Arms Sales" resolution
FOR The "Public Domain" resolution
FOR The "Abortion Rights" resolution
FOR The "Ban Trafficking in Persons" resolution
FOR The "Needle Sharing Prevention" resolution
FOR The "Tracking Near Earth Objects" Resolution
FOR The Refugee Protection Act
FOR The "Anti-Illegal Logging" resolution
Current Resolution: FOR The "Ban Trafficking in Persons" resolution

"All of these United Nations Resolutions that I have voted for have been implemented in UN-member Nations. You can look these up on the internet if you wish to find out the details."

The picture changes back to a mid-shot of Benjamin from yet another angle.

"You may be thinking that I simply vote 'For' every Resolution that crosses my desk and that's it." he laughs to himself in the way politicans do. "This simply isn't the case. I have voted against some measures that I and the people of Starblaydia do not believe in. For instance, I voted against the decision to ban nuclear weapons, as I believe a Nation's Strategic Deterrant is a vital tool to keep our World Safe. This measure sure did cause a fuss in the UN Chamber, but it ended up being defeated.

"Now, what will this mean for all the men, women and children of Atlantian Oceania if I become the Regional Delegate to the UN? To put it simply, everyone will have a say in how Atlantian Oceania votes in the UN. I will present the issue at hand in our Regional Forum every time a new one comes to my attention. From their, your nation's own UN representatives will present this issue to you, and when you have made up your minds, your UN representatives will report back your opinions to me and we will decide on the right course of action.
"

Another set of text comes up on the screen
  • 1. UN Resolution entered for approval and voting
  • 2. Regional Delegate Outlines Proposal to AO Nations in the UN
  • 3. AO Nations vote
  • 4. Regional Delegate Votes according to Regional Opinion
"This is the way I believe our Regional voting system should work. When I receive a resolution to vote on I will present it objectively to the Region, listing both sides of the arguement and giving my opinion on which way we should vote."

Back we come to a close-up shot of Benjamin.

"Now, crucially, the Regional Delegate's vote is 'worth' more than regular UN member-nations, so the Delegate, I believe, should not wield that vote without the majority-backing of Atlantian Oceania. So, in effect, Starblaydia would not be able to vote without the backing of the Region, if I won the Delegacy.

"Now, there is one final item I would like to tell you about. As Regional Delegate, I would have the power to submit Resolutions of my own, or ones suggested by the people of Atlantian Oceania. I would allow anyone to propose a resolution and allow it to be debated and decided on in the Regional Forums. If a proposal succeeds in the Regional Forum I would submit it for approval in the UN itself."

"So, in effect, my Campaign for Regional Delegacy consists of the following points:"

• All UN-members within AO have a say in how the Delegate votes in the UN
  • UN Resolutions available for debate in the Regional UN Forum
  • UN Delegate cannot vote in the UN without majority Regional approval
  • Any UN-member within AO can propose resolutions for debate and approval in the Regional UN Forum
  • Other Delegate and Regional-UN rules may be proposed and voted on in the Regional Forum by UN-member nations

If I haven't answered any other queries you may have about our Campaign for UN Delegacy, please do not hesitate to ask. In fact, why not use this part of the Regional Forum for any and all of your questions to me. Thank you for your time, people of Atlantian Oceania

Remember, Vote Starblaydia for United Nations Delegacy - The Best Choice

user posted image
This broadcast provided by the Vote Starblaydia for UN Delegacy Campaign
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Jul 29 2004, 05:18 AM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Starblaydia @ Jul 28 2004, 12:21 PM)
Vote Starblaydia for UN Delegacy - The Best Choice
Your endorsement can help make Atlantian Oceania a better Region for all

We enter a cosy office. A lovely fireplace is aglow with flame, there is a large wooden desk with a friendly-looking man sitting behind it, smiling at the camera. On the wall are maps of Atlantian Oceania and Starblaydia, along with a blue United Nations flag and the black-purple-white of Starblaydia. The man speaks.

"Hello there, friends,

My name is Benjamin Mackey, and I'm currently Starblaydia's United Nations representative. It's my job to give the people of Starblaydia a voice in the UN, which is a group of nations who have formed a world-wide organisation for the betterment of everyone who lives on this planet."

He gets up from his big leather chair and walks around the desk to sit on it's edge.

"Now, you may be wondering why I'm on your TV screens, as your opinions won't affect my job, right? Well, actually, all this is about to change." Benjamin looks thoughtful for a moment. "Under new Regional proposals, you'll have the power to elect our Regional Delegate and I'd like you to vote for me. 'Why vote for Benjamin Mackey of Starblaydia?', you may ask yourselves, well, here's why..."

Benjamin turns to the side, where another camera picks up his smiling face. Behind him is a window leading to a well-kept, luch garden. You can see the fireplace reflected in his smart glasses.

"Since I was appointed by the Lord-Protector when Starblaydia first joined the UN, many moons ago," he smiles again, "I have voted on each and every United Nations Resolution that has been put before it's members. I have debated in the UN's chamber, speaking out on issues that I personally believe in, that affect every one of us. Let me tell you a little something about my voting."

Over a faded, blurred image of the UN flag, text appears on the screen

FOR The Bio-Rights Declaration
FOR The "Reduce Black Market Arms Sales" resolution
FOR The "Public Domain" resolution
FOR The "Abortion Rights" resolution
FOR The "Ban Trafficking in Persons" resolution
FOR The "Needle Sharing Prevention" resolution
FOR The "Tracking Near Earth Objects" Resolution
FOR The Refugee Protection Act
FOR The "Anti-Illegal Logging" resolution
Current Resolution: FOR The "Ban Trafficking in Persons" resolution

"All of these United Nations Resolutions that I have voted for have been implemented in UN-member Nations. You can look these up on the internet if you wish to find out the details."

The picture changes back to a mid-shot of Benjamin from yet another angle.

"You may be thinking that I simply vote 'For' every Resolution that crosses my desk and that's it." he laughs to himself in the way politicans do. "This simply isn't the case. I have voted against some measures that I and the people of Starblaydia do not believe in. For instance, I voted against the decision to ban nuclear weapons, as I believe a Nation's Strategic Deterrant is a vital tool to keep our World Safe. This measure sure did cause a fuss in the UN Chamber, but it ended up being defeated.

"Now, what will this mean for all the men, women and children of Atlantian Oceania if I become the Regional Delegate to the UN? To put it simply, everyone will have a say in how Atlantian Oceania votes in the UN. I will present the issue at hand in our Regional Forum every time a new one comes to my attention. From their, your nation's own UN representatives will present this issue to you, and when you have made up your minds, your UN representatives will report back your opinions to me and we will decide on the right course of action.
"

Another set of text comes up on the screen
  • 1. UN Resolution entered for approval and voting
  • 2. Regional Delegate Outlines Proposal to AO Nations in the UN
  • 3. AO Nations vote
  • 4. Regional Delegate Votes according to Regional Opinion
"This is the way I believe our Regional voting system should work. When I receive a resolution to vote on I will present it objectively to the Region, listing both sides of the arguement and giving my opinion on which way we should vote."

Back we come to a close-up shot of Benjamin.

"Now, crucially, the Regional Delegate's vote is 'worth' more than regular UN member-nations, so the Delegate, I believe, should not wield that vote without the majority-backing of Atlantian Oceania. So, in effect, Starblaydia would not be able to vote without the backing of the Region, if I won the Delegacy.

"Now, there is one final item I would like to tell you about. As Regional Delegate, I would have the power to submit Resolutions of my own, or ones suggested by the people of Atlantian Oceania. I would allow anyone to propose a resolution and allow it to be debated and decided on in the Regional Forums. If a proposal succeeds in the Regional Forum I would submit it for approval in the UN itself."

"So, in effect, my Campaign for Regional Delegacy consists of the following points:"

• All UN-members within AO have a say in how the Delegate votes in the UN
  • UN Resolutions available for debate in the Regional UN Forum
  • UN Delegate cannot vote in the UN without majority Regional approval
  • Any UN-member within AO can propose resolutions for debate and approval in the Regional UN Forum
  • Other Delegate and Regional-UN rules may be proposed and voted on in the Regional Forum by UN-member nations
If I haven't answered any other queries you may have about our Campaign for UN Delegacy, please do not hesitate to ask. In fact, why not use this part of the Regional Forum for any and all of your questions to me. Thank you for your time, people of Atlantian Oceania

Remember, Vote Starblaydia for United Nations Delegacy - The Best Choice

user posted image
This broadcast provided by the Vote Starblaydia for UN Delegacy Campaign

and i hope this is a good and fair race smile.gif
The Atheists Reality
Inexperienced
Quote Post

Posted: Jul 29 2004, 05:30 AM

QUOTE (The Atheists Reality @ Jul 29 2004, 05:18 AM)
and i hope this is a good and fair race smile.gif

I share your view that this should be a well-natured and fair race, which I thank you for. As confident as I am in my proposal, I'm sure nobody wanted to read all that twice biggrin.gif
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Jul 29 2004, 05:34 AM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Starblaydia @ Jul 29 2004, 05:30 AM)
QUOTE (The Atheists Reality @ Jul 29 2004, 05:18 AM)
and i hope this is a good and fair race  smile.gif

I share your view that this should be a well-natured and fair race, which I thank you for. As confident as I am in my proposal, I'm sure nobody wanted to read all that twice biggrin.gif

sorry about that, i can only reply in this forum sad.gif
The Atheists Reality
Inexperienced
Quote Post

Posted: Jul 29 2004, 06:00 AM
PMEmail Poster

I once indicated in the civil headquarters that I would be equally as happy if Starblaydia would win over myself. However, in light of recent events with a bit of mudslinging, I am beginning to change my stance. You talk alot, Starblaydia, but what experience do you actually have? What makes you qualified other than your obviously overdone role-playing?

I have reviewed again and again your platform and I have some things I'd like to discuss. Why did you oppose the ban on nuclear weapons? As long as they exist, the threat of nuclear war is very real and it poses a threat to every form of life in this planet.

Next, your system for how you shall gain the people's support is quite silly. You make representatives and whatnot. Would it not be so much simpler to just have them tell you their thoughts directly or in the forums in a properly designated debate slot? You need to think your policy through. Creating a beareucracy is an easy thing to do, try to avoid it.

Your real political stance is very vague and one can only assume that you'll make whatever kinds of decisions. How are you, for example, on issues such as Gay Marriage, Healthcare, Education, and the other issues I and my friend asked the other candidate in this race? I'd love to hear your opinions.
Marturia
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Jul 29 2004, 06:06 AM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Marturia @ Jul 29 2004, 06:00 AM)
blah blah blah

oppose the ban on nuclear weapons? because completly eliminating them is currently impossible
The Atheists Reality
Inexperienced
Quote Post

Posted: Jul 29 2004, 06:19 AM

I once indicated in the civil headquarters that I would be equally as happy if Starblaydia would win over myself. However, in light of recent events with a bit of mudslinging, I am beginning to change my stance. You talk alot, Starblaydia, but what experience do you actually have? What makes you qualified other than your obviously overdone role-playing?

That wasn't mudslinging, that was an attempt to point out that I have the impression that you wish to 'be elected with the mandate of the masses' then rule according to your whims.

I have reviewed again and again your platform and I have some things I'd like to discuss. Why did you oppose the ban on nuclear weapons? As long as they exist, the threat of nuclear war is very real and it poses a threat to every form of life in this planet.

I am a great believer in the theory of Mutually Assured Distruction. MAD ensures that no sane nation will launch a nuclear attack on any country who either a)possesses such weapons or b)has allies with such weapons. You may point to terrorist groups and rogue nations who are willing to sacrifice themselves by starting a nuclear war. I put it to you that you cannot un-invent the nuclear weapon. Terrorists and Rogue states seeking to develop such weapons will do so anyway, with or without a United Nations (which they most certainly aren't a part of anyway) Resolution.

Next, your system for how you shall gain the people's support is quite silly. You make representatives and whatnot. Would it not be so much simpler to just have them tell you their thoughts directly or in the forums in a properly designated debate slot? You need to think your policy through. Creating a beareucracy is an easy thing to do, try to avoid it.

I am not creating any extra red tape or bureaucracy, as all the mechanisms are already in place. Nations who are in the UN have their own representatives already. It merely falls to them to bring their and their peoples' opinions to me, through this U.N. forum. Read my first post a little more carefully

Your real political stance is very vague and one can only assume that you'll make whatever kinds of decisions. How are you, for example, on issues such as Gay Marriage, Healthcare, Education, and the other issues I and my friend asked the other candidate in this race? I'd love to hear your opinions.

Very well, a decent question at last. So, my opinions:
Gay Marriage 'Marriage' is a particular religious union between a man and a woman. I have no problems with homosexuals engaging in such a union but I do not believe it should be termed as 'marriage'. The same rights and privilieges that 'regular' married couples enjoy should be granted to Homosexual Civil Unions.

Healthcare This may be the one area that we actually agree on something. General Healthcare should be available free at the point of treatment. This is the situation in Starblaydia, mirroring the British NHS system. Starblaydia was once a British colonial outpost in the 1800s. Individual nations have the right ot make up their own minds and teach their own syllabuses on this one.

EducationUmm.. *wonders how 'what is your stance on education' is a relevant question. Education for all, that is relevant, both traditional and modern at the same time. Again, individual nations have the right ot make up their own minds and teach their own syllabuses on this one.

I will address the other issues you expressed shortly

Benjamin Mackey
UN Representative
Potectorate of Starblaydia
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Jul 29 2004, 06:20 AM
PMEmail Poster

Even if it is impossible, we should at least attempt to curtail the ongoing growth of nuclear proliferation before every dictator in the world gets ahold of them.
Marturia
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Jul 29 2004, 06:29 AM
PMEmail Poster

QUOTE (Marturia @ Jul 29 2004, 06:20 AM)
Even if it is impossible, we should at least attempt to curtail the ongoing growth of nuclear proliferation before every dictator in the world gets ahold of them.

correct
The Atheists Reality
Inexperienced
Quote Post

Posted: Jul 29 2004, 06:31 AM
PMEmail Poster

"That wasn't mudslinging, that was an attempt to point out that I have the impression that you wish to 'be elected with the mandate of the masses' then rule according to your whims."

It sure sounded like mudslinging. I suppose 'pointing things out' to you involves exclaiming loudly about it. You could have mentioned it nicely, but it seems that isn't a part of your little credo.

"I am a great believer in the theory of Mutually Assured Distruction. MAD ensures that no sane nation will launch a nuclear attack on any country who either a)possesses such weapons or b)has allies with such weapons.

The key word there is "sane".

"You may point to terrorist groups and rogue nations who are willing to sacrifice themselves by starting a nuclear war. I put it to you that you cannot un-invent the nuclear weapon. Terrorists and Rogue states seeking to develop such weapons will do so anyway, with or without a United Nations (which they most certainly aren't a part of anyway) Resolution."

Well, we both know well what happens when nations that are forbode by U.N. Resolution not to create nuclear weapons do. Or should I say weapons of mass destruction to better jog your memory?

"I am not creating any extra red tape or bureaucracy, as all the mechanisms are already in place. Nations who are in the UN have their own representatives already. It merely falls to them to bring their and their peoples' opinions to me, through this U.N. forum. Read my first post a little more carefully"

From the sound of things, I thought you wanted to appoint representatives or something. You take NationStates so seriously to the point where it is no longer 'people who have nations' but rather 'nations with people'. I am not accustomed to that style, so naturally I misunderstood.

"'Marriage' is a particular religious union between a man and a woman. I have no problems with homosexuals engaging in such a union but I do not believe it should be termed as 'marriage'. The same rights and privilieges that 'regular' married couples enjoy should be granted to Homosexual Civil Unions."

The only dictionary that defines marriage in that way is from 1913 (Webster's), and we've come a long way since then. If the homosexuals wish to get married religiously, despite the clash between their religion and lifestyle choices, why can they not do so? And why shouldn't the government recognize them as a married couple?

"Healthcare This may be the one area that we actually agree on something. General Healthcare should be available free at the point of treatment. This is the situation in Starblaydia, mirroring the British NHS system. Starblaydia was once a British colonial outpost in the 1800s. Individual nations have the right ot make up their own minds and teach their own syllabuses on this one."

Nothing to argue there. Healthcare must be operated by the state, paid for by the state, and given freely to all equally by the state. Privatized medicine ultimately fails to cater to the masses as it should and I applaud you for realizing it.

"EducationUmm.. *wonders how 'what is your stance on education' is a relevant question. Education for all, that is relevant, both traditional and modern at the same time."

It is no more or less relevant that healthcare. The main question is Private Education and Public Education. Privatized or Socialized. Private Education sometimes pulls through but often takes religious or political bias in their teaching.

"Again, individual nations have the right ot make up their own minds and teach their own syllabuses on this one."

So the other issues you mentioned will be enforced on all nations? I intend to enforce nothing on people. Racists and other offensive discriminators will not be permitted to remain because they cause too much trouble and controversy, that is all I will 'enforce'.
Marturia
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Jul 29 2004, 06:33 AM

First you want to ban them, then you want non-proliferation. 1) Make up your mind 2) How are you currently helping the non-proliferation/ban of nuclear and other WMDs?

Worker's Rights "Workers" should not be exploited in any way and be paid a fair wage for a fair day's work without the possibilty of being sacked every 10 seonds. It's a free market, so workers can go wherever they like.

Union Laws Unions should not be able to hold the country to ransom for pay raises, for instance, above the level of inflation.

Welfare People who cannot survive above the poverty line must be given aid to do so, however, they must be active in working and attempting to better themselves. No moochers here, thankyou.

Social Security A social safety net is very useful in preventing nasty things happening <- note to self - why is it always the left-wing loonies who kick up a fuss in debates like this? ->

And how will this affect the way Starblaydia would use it's block vote in the UN? Not a jot! I will take the majority decision, as part of which my opinion counts as much as yours, such as it it.
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Jul 29 2004, 06:44 AM

It sure sounded like mudslinging. I suppose 'pointing things out' to you involves exclaiming loudly about it. You could have mentioned it nicely, but it seems that isn't a part of your little credo.

Yes, and I'm a fascist bigot who only listens to people yelling at me. Thankyou for your well-thought out judgement.

The key word there is "sane".

Which i then go on to qualify.

Well, we both know well what happens when nations that are forbode by U.N. Resolution not to create nuclear weapons do. Or should I say weapons of mass destruction to better jog your memory?

The real-world case of Iraq being smacked down in '91 and then not actually having any proven WMD programmes in '03 proves your point? How?

From the sound of things, I thought you wanted to appoint representatives or something. You take NationStates so seriously to the point where it is no longer 'people who have nations' but rather 'nations with people'. I am not accustomed to that style, so naturally I misunderstood.

I roleplay seriously. These posts are supposedly coming from Starblaydia's UN Representative, Benjamin Mackey. Your apology is accepted on this point.

The only dictionary that defines marriage in that way is from 1913 (Webster's), and we've come a long way since then. If the homosexuals wish to get married religiously, despite the clash between their religion and lifestyle choices, why can they not do so? And why shouldn't the government recognize them as a married couple?

The (my) government recognises the union of two people. In a the case of man+woman, this is called a Marriage. In the case of man+man or woman+woman, this is called a Civil Union. Other than that there are no legal differences.

Nothing to argue there. Healthcare must be operated by the state, paid for by the state, and given freely to all equally by the state. Privatized medicine ultimately fails to cater to the masses as it should and I applaud you for realizing it.

I have not said there is no place for Private Healthcare. If a person with a large amount of money wishes to pay a facility for its medical services we have no problem with that.

(Education) is no more or less relevant that healthcare. The main question is Private Education and Public Education. Privatized or Socialized. Private Education sometimes pulls through but often takes religious or political bias in their teaching.

You did not ask that question specifically. Public education can bring every pupil down to the lowest common denominator, while Private tends to focus on the academicly gifted, leaving out the 'less-well-able'

So the other issues you mentioned will be enforced on all nations? I intend to enforce nothing on people. Racists and other offensive discriminators will not be permitted to remain because they cause too much trouble and controversy, that is all I will 'enforce'.

You discriminate against rich people and entrepeneurs, should you not be ejected for these opinions? I feel that you are the one causing most trouble and controversy in these particular exchanges, and are offending me right this minute.

This post has been edited by Starblaydia on Jul 29 2004, 06:46 AM
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Jul 29 2004, 07:03 AM
PMEmail Poster

"Yes, and I'm a fascist bigot who only listens to people yelling at me. Thankyou for your well-thought out judgement."

Your words, not mine. And I didn't yell at you, at least I didn't mean to.

"The real-world case of Iraq being smacked down in '91 and then not actually having any proven WMD programmes in '03 proves your point? How?"

I was only trying to prove that we do deal with U.N. law breakers, although this case turned out to be a war based on erroneous 'evidence'.

"The (my) government recognises the union of two people. In a the case of man+woman, this is called a Marriage. In the case of man+man or woman+woman, this is called a Civil Union. Other than that there are no legal differences."

Why do you seperate them? Even if it is in name only, you should embrace equality by treating them the same. It may just be a title, but seriously, now.

"I have not said there is no place for Private Healthcare. If a person with a large amount of money wishes to pay a facility for its medical services we have no problem with that."

Well, I didn't mean illegalize private medicine, but we should endorse it like we do in the U.S.. If a wealthy person wishes to start a community health center to lift the load off of the state, then so be it. But the state should always seek to work in the benefit of the people as a whole.

"You did not ask that question specifically. Public education can bring every pupil down to the lowest common denominator, while Private tends to focus on the academicly gifted, leaving out the 'less-well-able'"

It's a pretty fair arguement, but I tend to lean in favor of Public Education because a simple funding boost to larger city schools would work well. Especially if the money actually made it to the schools, as sometimes the states in the U.S. will spend the money on other things (One problem of the State system).

"You discriminate against rich people and entrepeneurs, should you not be ejected for these opinions?"

I don't advocate killing them or treating them differently in my society. I am not a hater. I merely see their existence sitting on their bottoms rolling in currency while there are people starving as horrifyingly cold, selfish, and immoral. Their property will be siezed and the proceeds distributed to all people equally.

"I feel that you are the one causing most trouble and controversy in these particular exchanges, and are offending me right this minute."

It's good for people to be angry about something. Unless someone besides yourself says they are offended, I don't see your problem relevant to these proceedings. You offend me by saying you are offended but I know how to handle such feelings and unless it turns to death threats, I am not going to care or be angry. As I have already stated, those I intend to eject will only be ejected if they make racial, sexual, preference-based, etc. threats. They can say "I don't like black people." but they can't say "I'm going to kill you, you black person!" because that would be interpreted as an offensive racist death threat and we certainly can't have that in a civilized region. I suppose you feel differently, however.
Marturia
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Jul 29 2004, 07:18 AM

First of all, your lack of quote tags makes that damn hard to read, but anyway that's forgiveable

Your words, not mine. And I didn't yell at you, at least I didn't mean to.

Socialists have lost all their sense of humour nowadays, haven't they?

I was only trying to prove that we do deal with U.N. law breakers, although this case turned out to be a war based on erroneous 'evidence'.

We? NS is separate to real-world events, if you hadn't noticed. Anyway, I believe stopping tyrannical, 'evil', dictators from getting nuclear weapons is a necessity, by force if need be. *goes off to wonder what Stalin or Kruschev would have done with a nuclear bomb or two*

Why do you seperate them? Even if it is in name only, you should embrace equality by treating them the same. It may just be a title, but seriously, now.

Mr. Man and Mrs Woman. There is a title difference, but we treat them the same. Seriously, now.

Well, I didn't mean illegalize private medicine, but we should endorse it like we do in the U.S.. If a wealthy person wishes to start a community health center to lift the load off of the state, then so be it. But the state should always seek to work in the benefit of the people as a whole.

It sounded like you made public/private out to be an either/or decision, which I do not believe it it.

It's a pretty fair arguement, but I tend to lean in favor of Public Education because a simple funding boost to larger city schools would work well. Especially if the money actually made it to the schools, as sometimes the states in the U.S. will spend the money on other things (One problem of the State system).

And I tend to lean in favour of Private education. Golly, now there's something for the electors to make their minds up on!

I don't advocate killing them or treating them differently in my society. I am not a hater. I merely see their existence sitting on their bottoms rolling in currency while there are people starving as horrifyingly cold, selfish, and immoral. Their property will be siezed and the proceeds distributed to all people equally.

If you decide to try and sieze any Starblaydi assests, assuming you are elected, I warn you there will most certainy be violence.

It's good for people to be angry about something. Unless someone besides yourself says they are offended, I don't see your problem relevant to these proceedings. You offend me by saying you are offended but I know how to handle such feelings and unless it turns to death threats, I am not going to care or be angry. As I have already stated, those I intend to eject will only be ejected if they make racial, sexual, preference-based, etc. threats. They can say "I don't like black people." but they can't say "I'm going to kill you, you black person!" because that would be interpreted as an offensive racist death threat and we certainly can't have that in a civilized region. I suppose you feel differently, however.

Oh so when only one person is offended by you, they don't count? " Unless someone besides yourself says they are offended, I don't see your problem relevant to these proceedings." My opinion of you doesn't count. Wonderful. "I don't like black people." is an expression of free speech, currently considered taboo by almost every nation on the planet, including Starblaydia. "I'm going to kill you, you black person!" will result in an arrest in Starblaydia, as muderous intent leads to murder.

Ejecting people with, for instance, Racist views borders on the tyrannical. Rejecting people who use threats, with or without the attached views, should be ejected.
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Jul 29 2004, 07:29 AM
PMEmail Poster

"First of all, your lack of quote tags makes that damn hard to read, but anyway that's forgiveable"

I'm not used to the quote tags and find this way much faster.

"Socialists have lost all their sense of humour nowadays, haven't they?"

No, I just dislike your brand of humor.

"We? NS is separate to real-world events, if you hadn't noticed."

Your arguement was against a ban on nukes in the U.N. The NS U.N. models the actual U.N. Therefore, I can talk of the two as one in the same. Don't read me so literally.

"Anyway, I believe stopping tyrannical, 'evil', dictators from getting nuclear weapons is a necessity, by force if need be. *goes off to wonder what Stalin or Kruschev would have done with a nuclear bomb or two*"

Ha, ha, ha. Stalin and Khrushschev did have nuclear weapons. Stalin was nuts, but Khrushchev was a good guy, you ought to read up on him.

"Mr. Man and Mrs Woman. There is a title difference, but we treat them the same."

Yes, but if you start by labeling their marriage differently, then it can only retrograde in to less desirable means of differentiation and possibly segregation.

"It sounded like you made public/private out to be an either/or decision, which I do not believe it it."

Then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

"And I tend to lean in favour of Private education. Golly, now there's something for the electors to make their minds up on!"

Yes, allow all people to get free education or make them pay? Choices, choices...

"If you decide to try and sieze any Starblaydi assests, assuming you are elected, I warn you there will most certainy be violence."

I was referring to individual nations. I am not going to enforce my beliefs upon you because that would be unethical. That is not my platform and don't make people believe that it is.

"Oh so when only one person is offended by you, they don't count? " Unless someone besides yourself says they are offended, I don't see your problem relevant to these proceedings." My opinion of you doesn't count."

We have a personal dispute. We are political opponents. Of course there is disagreement. When hatred becomes violent, resolution must be sought. That is all I am saying. If that resolution is ejection, then so be it.

"Wonderful. "I don't like black people." is an expression of free speech, currently considered taboo by almost every nation on the planet, including Starblaydia. "I'm going to kill you, you black person!" will result in an arrest in Starblaydia, as muderous intent leads to murder."

If you want to say you don't like them, have fun but keep your hatred within the boundries of the law.

"Ejecting people with, for instance, Racist views borders on the tyrannical. Rejecting people who use threats, with or without the attached views, should be ejected."

That is what I have been saying here. I only said Racist, Sexist, Homophobic, etc. because those are the primary targets of violent threats and what have you.
Marturia
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart new topic
Pages: (5) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

[ Script Execution time: 0.0225 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->