Regional Consensus
Support [ 4 ]  [66.67%]
Against [ 1 ]  [16.67%]
Abstain [ 1 ]  [16.67%]
Total Votes: 6

Posted on Mar 12 2005, 04:41 PM
PMEmail Poster

Universal Library Coalition
A resolution to reduce income inequality and increase basic welfare.

Category: Social Justice
Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Mousebumples

Description: NOTING previous resolutions passed by the United Nations for the purpose of furthering education worldwide (#28 - Free Education, #54 - UN Educational Committee, #79 - Reformed Literacy Initiative), and also noting resolution #63 - Freedom of the Press,

UNDERSTANDING the limitations of the previous Global Library resolution (#86), which was repealed,

THE UNITED NATIONS -
CALLS for the formation of a Universal Library Coalition (ULC). The Universal Library provided by the ULC will be internet-based and may archive any published form of the written word including, but not limited to, fiction and nonfiction books, constitutions and laws from around the world, newspapers, magazines, and professional journals.

ACCEPTS submissions from individual member nations, in accordance with copyright laws. If the work is not in the public domain (as per resolution #60 - Public Domain), it may not be archived unless permission is obtained from the holder of the rights to the work. This individual or group will receive an annual payment in return for allowing wide access to their work.

PLACES the central server for the Universal Library within the United Nations Headquarters. The library will be indexed at minimum by author, title, nation of origin, keywords, and category, such as biography or periodical, as determined by the publisher.

GIVES each UN member nation and non-UN member nation the opportunity to participate and be a member of the ULC. Those that choose to participate will pay an annual fee to have the Universal Library made available to all internet portals within that nation. Member nations may also choose to provide content filters for their citizenry. Each participating nation may build a physical library within their borders, at their own cost. Each participating nation will maintain a backup of their national data archived within the ULC.

CREATES a ULC Executive Committee (ULCEC) consisting of fifteen (15) individuals selected from ULC member nations that are elected every three (3) years and will set annual fees that nations pay to gain access to the global library. The ULCEC will consult with other ULC nations to manage any issues related to the maintenance and operation of the ULC infrastructure that arise.

PROMOTES cultural awareness by permitting the creation of the Universal Literary Exchange Network (ULEN). Any ULC member nation may designate a section of a physical library or museum to house a rotating collection of literary works provided by other ULC nations. In exchange, they will volunteer some works from their own nation to the ULEN for no more than twenty-four (24) months at a time. The ULCEC will arrange for works to be moved from one ULC member nation to another.

DETAILS that the ULC and ULEN will be incorporated as non-profit organizations. The ULC and ULEN will be entirely funded by participating nations. No taxing authority shall be created by the passage of this resolution. Non-members are free to form their own libraries within their own borders and are in no way restricted from sharing information with other nations.

Votes For: 4,862

Votes Against: 1,137

[Delegate Votes]

Voting Ends: Tue Mar 15 2005
Abattoir
Pinprick of Apathy
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted on Mar 12 2005, 05:09 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Hmmmm... this does not sound like a bad idea. At the very least, you must agree that this resolution is better than the Global Library one. The Free Republic supports the release of non-classified materials, and this resolution will give nations a chance to do just that.
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted on Mar 13 2005, 08:58 AM

How it does that I'll never know, but I think its a good idea and it does beat the crap out of the Global Library and its stupid Treknobabble holography. For!
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted on Mar 13 2005, 03:51 PM
PMEmail Poster

Seems like a much better idea than the Global Library... and most importantly it has an opt-out. I'm in love.
Xile
Punch-Drunk Psychosis
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted on Mar 14 2005, 07:05 PM
PMEmail Poster

I like the opt-out. If more resolutions had such loop-holes I would not disagree with so many. However, I dont like the idea of a Global Library. It annoys me. We don't need the UN to set it up.
Abattoir
Pinprick of Apathy
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted on Mar 15 2005, 12:57 PM
PMEmail Poster

Delegate votes FOR said resolution, as per regional decision.
Abattoir
Pinprick of Apathy
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted on Mar 15 2005, 05:20 PM

QUOTE (Starblaydia @ Mar 13 2005, 08:58 AM)

How it does that I'll never know, but I think its a good idea and it does beat the crap out of the Global Library and its stupid Treknobabble holography. For!

Maybe they think that it'll do that from all the jobs that such a coalition would create. Of course, i'm just guessing.
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted on Mar 17 2005, 10:46 AM

After discussing the proposal in the Federal Assembly of Latao, we decided to support this, even as a non-UN-member nation.

The Confederacy will however not take the full costs for the system, as this is primary a private project and we do not think that the Universal Library Coalition resolution will reduce income inequality and increase basic welfare.

The Federal Assembly acknowledges the benefit in education and is willing to grant a partially subsidy.

Official contact person for the ULC and the ULCEC will directly by any participating corporations.

This post has been edited by Latao on Mar 17 2005, 10:48 AM
Latao
Emperor
Quote Post

Posted on Mar 17 2005, 10:55 AM

So in more clear words:

The Confederacy of Latao is not against this idea. We just can't see the need of any state-interaction for this. The service itself is a good idea, but we just don't see where the state comes in there.
If any corporation - maybe related to book publishing or computers, or even authors . are interessted in joining this network they shall do it, but after all this has nothing to do with the responsibilites of a state.
Therefore, its unlikely that the state of Latao supports this private-economic project with public money

Conclusion:
It's a good idea for private business, but no job for the state.
In case the state subsidies the project, Schools should benefit with free access to the contents of the library system.
Latao
Emperor
Quote Post

Topic OptionsClosed TopicMake a quick replyStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0182 ]   [ 15 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->