Start new topic
Florianopolis Conducts An Introductory Tour
Posted: Jan 5 2005, 12:38 AM
PMEmail Poster

[ooc: this is a formal introduction, despite the fact Florianopolis has been residing in AO for a bit of time now. ‘Observational time.’]

Being in the press corps of the President can be arduous, but this assignment has been a relaxing break from the usual hoofing around in rushed dashes from event to event. We have been following the President in an introductory tour of the region, now taking a moment to reflect in the press section of the air force 737 assigned to our elected leader. Now about 15 minutes from landing at our next tour stop, people are starting to shake off the sleep from their 20 minute cat naps between hops.

Compared to other jobs, working in Florianopolis has been a time to relax, and a relief from previous assignments. I moved my family here about a year after the previous military junta finally stepped down in front of mounting opposition and two particularly bloody student demonstrations. The intricacies of government are not suited to an organization intrinsic to violent operations.

The seven months after the junta’s demise was followed by an inevitably chaotic, yet remarkably short time period. The main reason for such a prompt transition to the current, and so far successful government, was the well coordinated formation of what best could be described as a think tank in modern parlance. Many of the most influential members of the junta’s opposition stepped forward and publicly debated where Florianopolis could go. Instead of falling apart and dissolving from lack of purpose as has happened in so many cases, the proponents of democracy kept the public’s enthusiasm and brought forward a real plan for the country, and in close to a year since the loss of the junta’s control had a constitutional draft and plans for elections in place.

The crew has just announced we’re 5 minutes from landing at our next stop, the coast of Termaria coming into view. This will be a bit of a change from the last whistle-stop in Vilita where we enjoyed some local delicacies during the meet-and-greet with their counterparts. Ahh, the ‘thud’ of the landing gear lowering signals everyone to final preparations.

I had been following the changes of Florianopolis with some interest as I new my current job was going nowhere and wanting a bit of adventure with my new wife, I applied with “The New Floripa,” Florianopolis’ leading national paper. With its undiscovered beaches and dramatic jungle-covered mountains that swept into the sea it seemed like a wonderful romantic paradise. Still relatively unknown to the mainstream, it was charming, cheap, and perfect for us.

Able to by a 2 story on the coast, we were enamored with the locale. The residents were friendly, fun-loving and boisterous, a new experience for us. The laid-back town we lived in featured a 300 year old church, that had been fortified as for defense from coastal raiding pirates ages ago. The mortar and brick stuccoes had no end to terracotta roof tiles, and many went without window glass as the balmy weather offered little trouble. Youth spent their time between surfing and soccer neighborhood soccer games, and adults entertained each other at large barbecues and drinking. We loved it.

Now the jet stairs are pulling up to the plane and in the front the President and his entourage is preparing to disembark. We will follow; extend our welcome to another country in Atlantian Oceania.
Florianopolis
Inexperienced
Quote Post

ICQAOLTop

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0167 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->