Start new topic
Repeal 'DVD Region Removal' (RESOLUTION)

Support this resolution?
Yes [ 3 ]  [60.00%]
No [ 2 ]  [40.00%]
Abstain [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Votes: 5
Guests cannot vote 
Posted on Sep 28 2005, 06:12 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Repeal "DVD region removal"

A proposal to repeal a previously passed resolution

Category: Repeal

Resolution: #5

Proposed by: Jey

Description: UN Resolution #5: DVD region removal (Category: Free Trade; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: The U.N.

Realizing:

-A- The rights and privileges of nations and regions involving all other media types, including: Blu-ray disc, High Density DVD (HD DVD), Universal media disc (UMD), super Audio CD (SACD), DualDiscs, other record types, and nearly all computerized were not mentioned at all in the previous resolution.

-B- Other media supports exist or will arrive soon on the market and should be also free of a “regional system.” This resolution only covers one type of media which is only effective during the time in which DVDs are used as standardized media.

Regretting:

-C- This resolution is poorly written, and contains numerous grammatical errors which can be embarrassing to the U.N.

-D- This resolution is illogical to only include one type of media and this makes it in a way unenforceable and meaningless.

In light of this resolution ineffectiveness and failure to expand to other media types, be it resolved that:

Resolution #5, “DVD region removal” is repealed

Co-Authored by: Love and esterel

Votes For: 293

Votes Against: 141

[Delegate Votes]

Voting Ends: Sun Oct 2 2005
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted on Sep 28 2005, 06:14 AM

Considering the almighty crapness of the original resolution, its a big fat YES from the Bettian delegate
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted on Sep 28 2005, 06:25 AM

No DVD regional thingies is a good thing, no matter how badly it's worded, so don't get rid of this.
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted on Sep 28 2005, 09:02 PM

With the removal of DVD 'regions,' DVDs are watchable over much greater distances, earning higher profits for those who make them. Since DVD regions would impede this, Lamoni votes no .
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted on Sep 30 2005, 06:35 AM
PMEmail Poster

Nothing is more frustrated than buying a DVD in one's travels only to find out it doesnt work back home. YES.
Nedalia
Emperor in Training
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted on Sep 30 2005, 07:15 AM

QUOTE (Nedalia @ Sep 30 2005, 11:35 AM)
Nothing is more frustrated than buying a DVD in one's travels only to find out it doesnt work back home. YES.

Um, this is a resolution to Repeal the original removal of DVD regions. So, at the moment, any DVD sold in a UN nation is region-less.

So with that 'Yes' vote you're supporting the allowance of DVD regions, therefore adding to your own annoyance. Yes?
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted on Sep 30 2005, 10:14 AM

I think everyone might be getting confused. This purpose of this resolution isn't isn't to enforce DVD regions on the NS-world, it's to pave the way for a more comprehensive anti-region resolution in the future.

The previous one (the DRM & Media Act) only just failed to get the required number of endorsements, but another slightely amended version is up for approval.
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted on Sep 30 2005, 10:24 AM

Ah, I'm obviously 'confused' by the fact that it doesnt mention anything, anywhere about designs for a replacement resolution, so it looks - on the surface - like this is a repeal of something useful-but-badly-written.

So this is yet another example of a badly-written resolution, so on other people's principles I'll keep my 'No' vote just where it is, thankyou.

Bloody UN bastards.
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted on Sep 30 2005, 02:04 PM
PMEmail Poster

The Unified Capitalizt States support this repeal (but are too lazy to log onto their own account to say it). The United Nations should not interfere with anything corporations can do to harm their customers—it is in their best interest to help their customers, except when the government monopoly gives them an incentive to do otherwise. And in the future, there may be some good reason that one region is not all wek need.
Lontorika
Inexperienced
Quote Post

Posted on Oct 1 2005, 05:43 PM

QUOTE (Starblaydia @ Sep 30 2005, 04:24 PM)
Ah, I'm obviously 'confused' by the fact that it doesnt mention anything, anywhere about designs for a replacement resolution, so it looks - on the surface - like this is a repeal of something useful-but-badly-written.

So this is yet another example of a badly-written resolution, so on other people's principles I'll keep my 'No' vote just where it is, thankyou.

Bloody UN bastards.

I apologise for that, I didn't mean to put anyone's nose out of joint there. You made a good point though, but it still wouldn't be enough for me to vote no though.
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted on Oct 1 2005, 05:56 PM

Nah it's cool - the confusion between what the Resolution means to the people writing it and what they've actually written is their own fault.

If the idiots who write these things would actually mean what they say and say what they mean once in a while then resolutions would probably get passed a lot easier.
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted on Oct 2 2005, 06:59 AM

With a 3-2 majority, the Bettian delegate has voted IN FAVOUR of this resolution.
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0252 ]   [ 16 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->