Guests cannot vote 
Posted on Aug 17 2007, 04:22 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Repeal "SPCC Regulation Act"
A proposal to repeal a previously passed resolution

Category: Repeal
Resolution: #58
Proposed by: Surly the Repealinator

Description: UN Resolution #58: SPCC Regulation Act (Category: Environmental; Industry Affected: All Businesses) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: The United Nations,

Acknowledging that Resolution #58, SPCC Regulation Act, was intended as an extension of Resolution #11, Ban Single-Hulled Tankers, which remains in effect,

Regretting that SPCC Regulation Act purported to establish a series of "Spill Prevention Control & Countermeasures," but in fact did no such thing,

Recognising that SPCC Regulation Act in no way:
- extends, adds to, or even realizes any of the provisions of the earlier resolution,
- enacts any form of regulation,
- does anything to prevent, clean or control oil spills,
- or in fact accomplishes anything, of any nature, whatsoever, other than to vaguely waffle on in a trite march of irrelevancies while entirely neglecting to place a single obligation on member nations,

Rejecting the notion that there is any point maintaining a resolution whose entire substance has all the legislative effect of a small child whining "waaah, Mummy! I don't like it! waaah!",

Agreeing with the concept of demonstrating the UN's commitment to genuine and effective international law rather than useless and annoyingly brattish screams of infantile indignation by striking out through repeal such a thoroughly terrible resolution,

And remaining safe in the knowledge that this repeal will in no way allow any irresponsibility or laxity of regulation in the transportation of oil or hazardous chemicals, given the original resolution makes no provisions to such effect:

Hereby repeals SPCC Regulation Act.

Votes For: 2,357

Votes Against: 808

[Delegate Votes]

Voting Ends: Mon Aug 20 2007

Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted on Aug 17 2007, 04:26 AM

Well, the author of this repeal is right in his points about the original resolution being nothing more than an emotive 'Save The Earth' speech rather than a proper piece of legislation (thus rendering it a complete waste of space), but he sure seems to have an axe to grind against its writer, doesn't he?

Despite the general childishness of some of this repeal's rantings, the Bettian delegate SUPPORTS this repeal. Clear the UN clutter!
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted on Aug 17 2007, 01:21 PM

Aye, bin it
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted on Aug 20 2007, 08:02 AM