Start new topic
Atlantian Oceanian Championship of Curling
Posted: Mar 18 2006, 12:22 AM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

user posted image

Formula that will be used
=RAND() + RP Bonus + Average of your playing style

Basically because nobody can be seeded, I have to use =RAND(), so anybody can win as long as they RP. wink.gif

Playing styles
  • Take-out - that being your strategy is simply to knock the opponent's rocks with no care for how your rocks are thrown or placed. Result: Closer score
  • Neutral - normal curling. Placing rocks in strategic points but also using rocks just to take out an opponent's, regardless of whether it sticks on the house. Result: Average 2 to 3 point win or loss
  • Strategic - defensive play, and purely playing strategically, using rocks only to score and not to "attack" as in the take-out style. Result: Average 2 to 5 point win or loss
Like in U21WC, each team will get "points" to spend. You can divide your points -- in this tournament everyone will get six -- among the three playing styles. If you want a fully attacking style for your team, you would choose 4-2-0 (Take-Out/Neutral/Strategic), 5-1-0 or 6-0-0. If you want a balanced attack, you would choose 3-3-0, 3-2-1 or 2-2-2. A more defensive style of play would use a 0-2-4 to 0-0-6 point distribution. Then, your point distribution will be averaged and placed in the scorination formula.

RP bonus
  • Good RP - 5 points
  • Average RP - 3 points
  • Not so good RP - 1 point
  • No RP - 0 points
I will also be giving bonus if you RP. A good RP constitutes not just length (though that is a sign of effort in most cases) but also effective writing. A poor RP is something like "The Losers lost today 3-0. Big surprise. Next game is versus the Winners on Thursday." You'll get the point, but you definitely won't get five.

Structure of the tournament
In the event of 12 nations participating, there will be two divisions of six each. After a round-robin of five games (you play your group members once), the bottom two teams in each group will be eliminated from play. The eight remaining teams are then pooled into one group where they play a knockout all the way to the semifinals. The two losing teams from the semifinals will play for the bronze medal. In the final, the losing team takes silver, while the winner takes gold and a trophy.

In the event of 10 nations participating, there will be two divisions of five each. The round-robin will be four games in length and the bottom team in each group will be eliminated. For an eight-team event, the bottom two teams in each group will be eliminated after a three-game round-robin and the four remaining teams move directly to the semifinals.

=============================

Sign up with your point distribution. I'll post a rosters/RP thread and a scores thread once we get the requisite amount. The ideal number is 12. This is an invitational-style tournament so I will be merely your host and not participating myself.

Nations participating (10/12)
Amarenthe
Spruitland
Dorian and Sonya
Legalese
Myrtannia
Milchama
Krytenia
Bettia
Iksonic
Chacor

This post has been edited by Starblaydia on Mar 24 2006, 04:40 AM
Pacitalia
The best place on earth.
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Mar 18 2006, 12:32 AM

Amarenthe informed me she will be signing up, but she had to go off the computer. She says she will be playing 2-2-2.
Pacitalia
The best place on earth.
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Mar 18 2006, 01:13 AM
PMEmail Poster

Spruitland only has a women's curling team to send, because Spruitland men refuse to pick up a broom. So, if that isn't a problem, the Spruitland Curly Bunnies will sign up, using a 2-2-2 system, under the motto "spreading it is always a good thing."
Spruitland
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Mar 18 2006, 01:24 AM
PMEmail Poster

Dorian and Sonya signs up with an 0-2-4 style. cant wait to beat all of you biggrin.gif
Dorian and Sonya
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Mar 18 2006, 01:25 AM
PMEmail Poster

Legalese Curling Union announces first Curling National Team

Dell Lindsay to skip the Legalese Five

Tiberia, Legalese- With the announcement of the first regional curling championships, the Legalese Curling Union put together a team of the top curlers from the local curling clubs. Players from clubs in Francopolis, Tiberia, Snowcroft, Numalia, and the Northern Tip comprise the four curlers and one alternate on the squad.

Official Roster for the Legalese Curling Team

Skip- Dell Lindsay (Tiberia). The first side will be led by the 32-year old Lindsay. Like the others, he's been playing the game since his youth, winning his first honors as a member of the Tiberian Curling Club champions at age 18. He would go on to skip the club champions at age 21, and has won the club title 8 times as a skip. In addition, his record is 32-4 in inter-club matches, defending the honor of the Tiberian CC against a whole series of opposition, even some of his teammates in this competition. Tends to think somewhat defeinsively on the ice.

Third/Vice-Skip- Ryan Twile (Snowcroft)- Nearly as accomplished as Lindsay, the 27-year old Twile has won 6 Snowcroft club titles, 4 of them as a skip. As a third, his teams have handed three of Lindsay's four losses as a skip, however his own record in interclub play was 6-4. Twile's strength is as a takeout shooter, though his drawing should be to Lindsay's satisfaction.

Second- Samuel Roberts (Numalia). The youngest of the team, 22-year old Roberts has made an impact on the curling world quite early, winning three titles as the second for the Numalian club champions.

First- Morgan "Morg" Campbell (Francopolis)- Possibly the best guardsetter in Legalese, the 25 year-old Campbell was the easiest choice for the side.

Fifth- Dexter Allison (Northern Tip)- Founder of the Northern Tip Curling Club, and the best curler from the side. He's been playing the game for over 20 years, so even if he doesn't see any time on the ice, his experience will be invaluable.

OOC: We'll be playing a 3-0-3
Legalese
Back in Black
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted: Mar 18 2006, 03:08 AM
PMEmail Poster

Despite being in the South Cove region, the Allied States of Myrtannia is pleased to announce the formation of the first Myrtannian National Team. An official roster will be posted soon, but the first announced member is the Skipper of the team - 45 year old veteran of the Myrtannian Curling Alliance, Filiberto Luangxay. A player since the age of 12 in various national youth clubs, he is the most experienced curler in the history of the Allied States of Myrtannia. With 10 MCA titles under his belt, along with numerous individual awards as a skipper, he is the natural choice for a Myrtannian national team skipper. He is famous for his aggressive attacking mindset, known to foes and allies alike as the 'Ice General'.

"Curlers don't get a lot of recognition in Myrtannia, what with the Myrtannian Basketball League, the National Lacrosse Association, and the Myrtannian Pro Bowling Circuit, so hopefully this will work to change that all," Luangxay said, adding that, "Our national team should turn more than a few heads here. We hope to go to Pacitalia and sweep our way to prominence on a national and hopefully on a Regional scale as well. Only the very best will be sent to Pacitalia."

OOC: The Myrtannian team will be playing at 4-2-0

Myrtannia
Experienced Senator
Quote Post

Posted: Mar 19 2006, 12:13 AM
PMEmail Poster

The middle ground? That's for Druida

Milchama signs up with a 3-0-3
Milchama
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Mar 19 2006, 01:51 AM
PMEmail Poster

Three-one-two for the stonechucking Kryties, please.
Krytenia
Now With Added Bekk!
Quote Post

YahooMSNTop

Posted: Mar 19 2006, 02:13 PM

OOC: Right, once Star/Vil give me VOIA privileges, I can edit you guys into the list. But consider yourselves signed up.
Pacitalia
The best place on earth.
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Mar 20 2006, 04:41 AM

Bettia will send a team... hey, it gives our ice rinks something to do until the new BetHL season gets underway. Being a) complete novices, and b ) totally averse to anything defensive, we'll be playing 6-0-0.

This post has been edited by Bettia on Mar 20 2006, 04:42 AM
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted: Mar 20 2006, 01:47 PM

Excellent, so we have at least 8.
Pacitalia
The best place on earth.
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Mar 21 2006, 03:35 AM

QUOTE (Pacitalia @ Mar 19 2006, 08:13 PM)
OOC: Right, once Star/Vil give me VOIA privileges, I can edit you guys into the list. But consider yourselves signed up.

Fat chance wink.gif
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Mar 22 2006, 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Starblaydia @ Mar 21 2006, 12:35 AM)
QUOTE (Pacitalia @ Mar 19 2006, 08:13 PM)

Fat chance wink.gif

Star, it's okay to have a weight problem. And it's okay to talk about these things. wink.gif

Anyway, Iksonic has TGed me and said he'll play 2-3-1. So he's in too. Star, mind updating the list to 9/12?
Pacitalia
The best place on earth.
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Mar 22 2006, 06:13 PM

Done
Starblaydia
Also available in purple
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Mar 24 2006, 12:13 AM
PMEmail Poster

Chacor are up for some curling, and will go 5-0-1.
Chacor
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart PollStart new topic
Pages: (2) [1] 2 

[ Script Execution time: 0.0131 ]   [ 13 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]

-->