Start new topic
Inaugural AO Bowl for Gridball
Posted: Jan 10 2006, 05:16 PM
PMEmail Poster

Seventy eight year old Buddy Landry has been known as the Father of Sarzonian Football for his role in the founding of both the Incorporated Football Federation and the Sarzonian Football Confederation, serving as both the chairman of Sarzonia's governing body for football and the commissioner of the first top flight professional league of any kind in Sarzonia's history.

Now he has chosen to undertake perhaps his greatest challenge: To increase the exposure of the sport of gridball, which is Sarzonia's name for American football. Well, technically, it's the nickname of the sport, as its official Sarzonian name is "Gridiron Football, Formerly Known as American Football."

But no one, including the people who named the sport thusly calls it by that cumbersome title. Media outlets always use gridball. Even the sport's governing body relegates the official name to barely a footnote in its history. Lawmakers have never legally changed the name to gridball for fear that they would be lampooned in the media for debating a sporting matter when "they have better things to do."

It is in this backdrop that sees the founding of the Incorporated Gridball League, the latest effort toward a top flight professional gridball league in Sarzonia. Previous leagues failed due to lack of attendance and the expense involved in equipment, training facilities, salary payments, et. al. This time, Landry swears he has the right formula to succeed.

"Old broadcasts of NFL games are still very popular in Sarzonia," Landry said. "College gridball is the second biggest sport in Sarzonia behind football. We have a conservative business model that we believe will work to give it a modest beginning to see some stability."

Landry is also gambling on one other effort to get the league off the ground: The establishment of a gridball tournament to be held in Sarzonia pitting the best teams from leagues throughout Atlantian Oceania in a new tournament called the AO Bowl. The SFC and IFF reached a deal with Landry to allow its stadia to be used for the tournament, so Bryan Marshall Stadium in Woodstock, the Iron Bowl in Portland, and the Round Table in Nicksia are all available as venues for preliminary round games.

"We would like to see this become a successful tournament in addition to the AOCAF," Landry said. "We think we have the interest to make this work."

OOC: If you're interested in signing up, please indicate by posting to this thread.
Sarzonia
It's all about the Navy.
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 10 2006, 05:23 PM
PMEmail Poster

I would be interested in signing up. Just list the positions you want (I'm not sure if this is different from regular football so that's why I'm asking) and I'll post my roster. smile.gif
Space Union
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 10 2006, 07:50 PM
PMEmail Poster

Milchama can't wait to have their old NS Bowl team go at it and lose one more time.
Milchama
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 10 2006, 07:55 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

Sign me up!
Pacitalia
The best place on earth.
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Jan 10 2006, 09:16 PM
PMEmail Poster

Hey that was a better response that I thought there would be. huh.gif
Space Union
Dedicated Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 10 2006, 09:24 PM
PMEmail Poster

With three countries having already signed up, namely Pacitalia, Milchama, and Space Union, Landry cracked a wide smile.

"Looks like we have a Cup ready to go," he said. Of course, he knew that there was a possibility that more teams wanted to play in the tournament. There was the logistical issue of having to figure out a format, which itself would depend on the number of teams that actually took part.

Landry walked over to his desk with the proposal outline he had designed and was prepared to implement that had contingency plans for small groups of teams to large contingents of teams. He sat down and sent a copy of the proposal to the gridball association chairmen.

CODE
Proposal:

Should the AO Bowl take place with four to seven teams, the qualifying stage will consist of one games for each team against each other team in the tournament. After the qualifying stage, the top four teams will advance to the semifinals, where the top seeded team will play against the fourth seed and the second seed will face the third seed. The winners of each semifinal game will play in the AO Bowl championship game.

Rosters will be limited to 40 players per team with no more than 11 coaches on a coaching staff. Many rules will be similar to those of gridball leagues in the United States; in particular, the National Football League. [OOC: 11 players per side on the field at any time.] Considering the compressed time we have to play these games, there will be four 12 minute quarters. Each team will have a total of five time outs per game, with teams able to use up to three time outs in a half. However, if a team uses three times out in the first half, they are only entitled two times out in the second half.

In the event of a tie at the end of regulation, qualifying games will end in a tie. In the event of a tie game in the semifinals or the finals, another simulation will take place until the tie is broken.

Group stage games will take place at Bryan Marshall Stadium in Woodstock; the Iron Bowl in Portland, Somerset; and the Round Table in Nicksia, Benatar.

We look forward to a spirited competition from the gridball teams that participate!

Buddy Landry

[OOC: If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me!]
Sarzonia
It's all about the Navy.
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 10 2006, 09:46 PM

Lamoni will participate.
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: Jan 11 2006, 01:21 AM
PMEmail Poster

Holy -explicitive removed-, a sport I actually know biggrin.gif Though I do a good BS job in the worldwide version of futbol. tongue.gif (I have watched more of it this year than the NFL- shocker)

ASMV will definately participate.
Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
The Dragon's Herald
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 11 2006, 04:36 AM

Bettia's gridball team (predictably nicknamed the Aroras) are more than ahppy to flex their muscles on the AO sports scene... and they might end up playing some gridball too!
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted: Jan 11 2006, 04:45 AM
PMEmail Poster

Nedalia is ready to PLAY SOME FOOTBALL!!!!
Nedalia
Emperor in Training
Quote Post

AOLTop

Posted: Jan 11 2006, 06:34 AM

QUOTE (Nedalia @ Jan 11 2006, 10:45 AM)
Nedalia is ready to PLAY SOME FOOTBALL!!!!

GRIDball rolleyes.gif
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted: Jan 11 2006, 09:25 AM
PMEmail Poster

Current signups:

CODE
Sarzonia (host nation)
Space Union
Milchama
Pacitalia
Lamoni
Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
Bettia
Nedalia

If no other countries sign up, I'll have the teams divided into two Conferences, with the top two teams from each conference advancing. Obviously, if more teams sign up, I'm more than willing to tweak things a bit.

This post has been edited by Sarzonia on Jan 11 2006, 09:26 AM
Sarzonia
It's all about the Navy.
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 11 2006, 12:27 PM
PMEmail Poster

The Oliverrian Football Association's president, Olivier Chaussé, is against Sarzonia's initiative to start this cup. He told us that only him has the right to start a Football tournament and that Oliverry will not participate to this cup.

A hour later, the General manager of the team, Arthur Fournier, told us that the team will participate to the cup. If they can't under Oliverry's name, they will under another nation's name.

Mr. Chaussé accepted to let Oliverry participate in the AO Bowl, simply because Football is having problems in the nation right now. "We need to get it back to the popularity it had before the spectacular World Cup 25 the Oliverrian Soccer Team had." he said.

OOC: That means we sign-up
Septentrionia
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Jan 12 2006, 03:35 AM

Count on Nojika participating.
Nojika
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Integrity Messenger IMAOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: Jan 12 2006, 09:11 AM
PMEmail Poster

Landry shuffled into his office in a manner befitting his status as a septugenerian with a thoughtful expression on his face. So far, nine countries including his own expressed their intent to take part in the inaugural AO Bowl. The modest little gridball tournament he thought might give a boost to the sport in Sarzonia was shaping up to be both a blessing and a logistical nightmare.

"Nine teams," Landry muttered as he slid off his coat and eased it onto the hangar in his closet. "That's going to be one hell of a challenge."

"Mr. Landry?"

"Come in Connor."

Connor Dandridge, his youngest nephew and an avid gridball fan, walked in with a sealed letter. The postage indicated the letter came from Nojika.

"Shirley said to give this to you."

"Well, open it. My arthritis is acting up again."

Dandridge grabbed the letter opener off Landry's desk and slid it into the envelope with the tearing sound of the paper cutting into the serene quiet of Landry's surroundings for a brief second. However, when Dandridge gave Landry the letter, that would be only the first noise to pierce the silence.

"Hot damn! Nojika is signing up! That makes ten teams," Landry said with a wide smile.

"Oh?"

CODE
Current signups:

Sarzonia (host nation)
Space Union
Milchama
Pacitalia
Lamoni
Andossa Se Mitrin Vega
Bettia
Nedalia
Oliverry