Posted: Mar 24 2007, 05:52 PM
PMEmail Poster

Manhattan Herald – 24th January 2007
Latest report from AOCAF 19

Chippers Record Win Against Ubundi

Group D – Manhattan Prime 2:1 Ubundi

Manhattan Prime: Katakana 20mins, DeSilva 74mins
Ubundi: 45mins

Manhattan Prime picked up their first points in Bettia today, by chalking up a 2-1 victory over Ubundi.

Stung by their defeat in the last game, the Chippers came out raring to go, and ready to tear into their opponents. The defensive pairing of Heinze and Clarke worked well to contain the Ubundi strike force in the first half, and Felix DeSilva especially proved very creative for the Manhattanites, setting up Katakana in the box to open the scoring 20 minutes in.

Takamura came close to adding a 2nd some minutes later, hitting the bar from an indirect free kick as Ethan Smith was pulled down outside the Ubundi area. It was then their opponents’ turn to dominate, putting Clive Hilton’s goal under heavy pressure, and finally making a breakthrough just before half time.

Seemingly disgusted to have lost their lead so easily, the Chippers were far more energetic in the 2nd half, with Michael Donavan earning himself a yellow card for an over-exuberant tackle on an Ubundian player.

The winning goal that the team sort eventually arrived, through Man of the Match, DeSilva, who’d been instrumental throughout for Manhattan Prime. Supplied by Dreygo, the young midfielder turned and lashed the ball into the top corner to make the score 2-1, and their trademark determined and gritty defending was enough for the team to make sure the result stayed that way.

Manhattan Prime Team:

Clive Hilton (GK)

Lucas Thompson (RB)
John Clarke (CB)
Karl Heinze (CB)
Ben Wilde (LB)

Ethan Smith (DMC)
Michael Donavan (MC)
Felix DeSilva (AML)
Mashashi Takamura (AMR)

Vykk Dreygo (S)
Yosh¡to Katakana (S)
Manhattan Prime
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Mar 24 2007, 06:41 PM
PMEmail Poster

Absent Coach to Blame?

The United team stepped off the field with heavy hearts after a nasty loss to a team with no skill, after several hits by Sarzonia players in the begining, United players bagan to push back, proving to the Sarzonia players theat they were there to stay. Although the referee turned a bind eye to jersey tugs amd blind side tackles from the Star players. We spook to United Captain Michael McShane after the match. When he asked him about the teasm rough stance in the game he said simply, "We just dish back what is given to us. If a team thinks they came come on the pitch and think they can walk on us well, we will show them our nasty side. But if we play a team like Manhattan Prime, who treat us with respect and act like professionals, well then we treat them the same way, there no two ways about it. If you cant take it, don't dish it."

The game was at a lose form the start as players attempted to figure out who was going to start. And what the United playyers brough tto the game was like what to other games, the same plays over and over again. It is evident that the lack of Head Coaching is begining to reek havoc on the United players moral and play level.

The bitter rivalry that Sarzonia has started seems to have no end in sight, as a Sarzonia photographer captured an image with the captain with his head held in his hands, in retaliation United Fans back in Delesa started to riot and burn those jerseys of the Sarzonia team. But it didn't stop there as they also began to show little respect for the United team management. The police didn't bother to respond to such a crowd and allowed the fans to disappear on their own accounts, in the end no property damage has been reported.

Although being the crazy United fans that we are here at the press, he believe it to eventully blow over and not to affect anything else other then soccer relations. So if your a Sarzonia Star fan, try to avoid wearing a jeresy in Delesa for next month or so, for your own safety. But fans also looked on the bright side and felt pitty for the Sarzonia, which currently sits second from the bottom, and United in third.

Goals:

Star (24th Min) - *Unkown*
CDU (38th Min) - Michael McShane
Star (73rd Min) - Reese Nichols
CDU (91st Min) - Florian Olivier

2-2 After Regulation Time

3-2 After Shootout
Delesa
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

YahooMSNTop

Posted: Mar 24 2007, 07:20 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

'Foxes tame Lions in surprising, but pleasant, blowout
"All cylinders firing" as Pacitalia takes sole possession of tops in Group A before rest day

PORTHBALFA, Y GWLAD TEG, BETTIA (PSN) -- The Pacitalian Blue Foxes entered Porthbalfa determined to produce a better result than their edgy, scary 5-3 extra-time win over Atheistic Right on match day one. And they delivered it in force, nailing a talent-depleted Nedalian squad to the wall with a big 4-1 victory to take control of Group A after two match rounds.

The Nedalian Lions hadn't had much success as of recent AOCAFs, dropping to their lowest-ranking in recent memory -- 13th for the start of cup 19 here in Bettia. The national squad hasn't had much luck retaining its talent, with only striker Tim James remaining from the prize-form squads of the Nedalian "Second Generation", a group of elite players that helped the Lions share command of the figurative AOCAF seas in the tween incarnations of AOCAF, with runner-up finishes in cups 13 and 15. The NFA hoped to retain their goalkeeper, and failed. They also tried to retain star striker and former U21 World Cup champion Constantine for AOCAF19 but couldn't entice the two men into appearing for their national squad.

James' experience was sided left and right by two up-and-coming Nedalian football protégés, and helped him secure his first goal at AOCAF19 just twenty minutes in. But after some warning growls from Pacitalian manager Sergei Saganyarov the Blue Foxes returned to form and played the way a top-ten team should against one that is not. Midfielder Andolfabio Vunghiasso flanked the halftime break with a pair of goals before Nuno Cabana's successful penalty conversion a little over an hour in put the match out of reach for the Lions. The 3-1 scoreline was magnified with a final tally from 23-year-old substitute Massimo da Scupeta, another U21 World Cup alumnus who will likely take captain Veranace d'Amantano's spot at left forward when the 35-year-old retires from international competition. d'Amantano sat this match out, complaining of flu-like symptoms and jet lag, allowing da Scupeta some in-match experience at left forward. Team physician Dr Simone Sargentati says the NG Sapuntoli club star will be fit enough to return for the marquee matchup against Bettia on Sunday.

"It wasn't anything serious -- no diarrhea or vomiting," d'Amantano said over the phone. "I just felt really, really jet lagged, fatigued because I was behind on my sleep, and generally felt under the weather, like I had a bug or something, but there were no symptoms that stood out. I just felt blah and needed a day off to recuperate."

d'Amantano scored the equalising goal against Atheistic Right to peg the score at 3-3 and send the match to extra time, where the Blue Foxes went on to win 5-3. "The first match really exhausted me, because we had to play so hard to stay in it, and try and win late. And I was pumping at full-speed on my goal because I was so determined not to let us lose the match, and combined with the way I was already feeling, it just knocked the wind right out of my sails."

The participants in Friday's matchup against the Lions were surprisingly less than impressed with the big win.

"I'm okay with the result," Saganyarov remarked at the post-match press conference. "But I didn't think we played tight enough at halfback and central midfield... we were tight enough along the outside, but at the centre-circle, we were very sloppy. I think that cost us the goal. We played well enough that we could have had a 4-0 win if we'd wanted it bad enough, but it might be good that, instead, we're taking it a bit easier and playing as hard as we need to, minute-by-minute, to get these victories."

"We're playing really loose, scrimmage-like footy at the moment," forward Ambrosino Giurimano said. "I feel like a lot of us just aren't pulling our weight; there's a difference between simply playing well and going the extra mile and contributing what is expected of you. I need to pick up my play. Yes, I have one goal so far, and that's better than none at all, but most of our offensive output is coming from the middle five; Fabio [Vunghiasso], Charo [Andreos Charisteas], Nuno Cabana and Masca [Michelangelo Mascagnano] have scored six of our nine goals so far. Plus, I'm not really used to Simo [Massimo da Scupeta]'s style of striking so I think that threw me off a bit. But he was outstanding for us today and I was glad to have a chance to play in-match with him. He's a true talent."

"I was [expletive] today," midfielder Mascagnano spat in self-revile. "I'm not going to beat myself up over it anymore after tonight, but I know I really had a chance to wrap up that play on James and stuff the charge before it developed into anything major, and I just couldn't pull the trigger on it... so I'm very disappointed with this result. Cristianu [Raduvani] could have had a clean sheet today, he deserved it the way he and the defence played."

Asked about Massimo da Scupeta's play, Saganyarov said he was "very pleased" and complimented the young aspiring forward on a "superbly-skilled and well-timed goal". Whether da Scupeta sees more pitch time later in the group stage "remains up in the air", he said.

Once again, the Blue Foxes will submit to a light practice and a 3km jog around Porthbalfa before catching a solid meal and retiring early. They have the day off to rest with an optional scrimmage before hitching a bus down to the sunny Bettian capital for the group's main matchup against the group's top seed, the tournament hosts. Last time the two teams met here in Bettia, Pacitalia won 4-0. No doubt, the Blue Foxes will be concentrating on making a big statement again in this cup's group stage.

"We need to keep our heads up, faces forward, and our feet planted firmly on the ground if we want to win this against Bettia," Saganyarov said, who will be facing the Aroras for the first time as manager. "Watching the tapes I feel this is really going to come down to a war of attrition between the Foxes and Aroras. We're very evenly matched in our styles of play and the level of talent that will be present on the pitch on Sunday. I'm positive there won't be any showboating from either side - it will lose the match for sure, so the 22 on the pitch will be keeping close to the ground and scoring using their experience and skill rather than an attempt to wow fans with unnecessary acrobatics."

Mascagnano agreed. "Nine times out of ten, being acrobatic won't score you a goal and you end up flat on your back."

On a final note: with their loss Friday, Nedalia falls to 0-0-3 all-time against the Blue Foxes in senior-level men's competition.

From Porthbalfa, Y Gwlad Teg, Bettia:
Pacitalia 4 : 1 Nedalia

PAC: Vunghiasso 43', 49' / Nuno Cabana 61' (p) / da Scupeta 71'
NDL: James 20'

NEXT UP: PAC (off-day), NDL v ATH

This post has been edited by Pacitalia on Mar 24 2007, 07:25 PM
Pacitalia
The best place on earth.
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Posted: Mar 25 2007, 12:44 AM
PMEmail Poster

Southport News
“No witty slogan. We’re just boring like that.”

Bye-day leads to blowout, moves Raptors up to fourth

CEFFINTON, BETTIA - Whatever Team Aurendia did on their bye day, it paid off handsomely. Following a disappointing 2-1 defeat on Matchday One, the Raptors bounced back in a big way with a 5-0 thrashing of Capitalizt SLANI at a packed Heol Angharyd that will be their home for bulk of the opening round.

What would prove to be a long and difficult night for Capitalizt goalie Bag Yun-Sun began in the 13th minute. A sequence that has become well-known to Aurendian fans over the past twelve years occurred yet again: at the midfield Cassandra Campbell gained control, lobbed a long pass right to her sister, who promptly buried it in the back of the net, and the rout was on. Fourteen minutes later the Raptors went up 2-0 on a similar play, albeit with different players involved. Four minutes before the half, the third Raptor forward got on the board, as Chad Barrett put himself in perfect position to head in a Cassandra Campbell corner kick.

With the 3-0 lead, the Raptors guaranteed themselves at least one valuable standings point thanks to new takilan rules, and the din from the blue-yellow-and-green clad Aurendian supporters grew into a cacophony of chants, songs, and professions of love for one or more members of the Campbell family that carried on through halftime and into the second half. When the eldest Campbell added a goal to her two assists in the 57th minute, the crowd noise reached decibel levels that registered on seismographs throughout the Ceffinton area. The Raptors weren’t finished yet though; the scoring concluded in the 73rd minute when Kara Campbell broke up a half-hearted Capitalizt clear and found a streaking Nikki Vitalia for the fifth and final Aurendia goal.

The three points that came from the victory were much needed by the Raptors, but by virtue of scoring more than three goals, the Raptors gained an additional point, vaulting them ahead of Schiavonia and into fourth place in Group A. Team Aurendia will remain in Ceffinton for their next three matches, beginning with Nedalia on MD4.

Scoring:
1. A (A. Campbell 1) 13th (Assist: C. Campbell)
2. A (K. Campbell 2) 27th (Assist: T. Collins)
3. A (C. Barrett 1) 41st (Assist: C. Campbell)
4. A (C. Campbell 1) 57th (Assist: N. Vitalia)
5. A (N. Vitalia 1) 73rd (Assist: K. Campbell)
Aurendia
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Mar 25 2007, 01:29 AM

Hawks returning to form with win against MP

Though the final result against MP was as close as 3-2, the wins against both Sarzonia and MP seem to be putting the Hawks back on their winning ways. Drugah Farani, Zan Quest, and Draze Aruru all scored one goal each for Lamoni.

Drugah's goal came after getting the ball from teammate Zan Quest after the ball had gone out of bounds. Drugah went the length of the field, using the deke to leave MP defenders in the dust before shooting the ball, and getting it back on the rebound; only to shoot again and score. A picture of the goal is rumored to be used on the front page of Lamonian newspapers tommorow, thanks to the Lamonian Press Guild (OOC: The LPG is a sort of Lamonian only AP or Reuters... am I the only one thinking that AO needs an AP type organization?).

Zan just blasted his goal past the Manhattanite goalkeeper, there was no impressive subtlety or form about this goal, so we'll move on.

Draze's goal came on an attempted bicycle kick during which he fell to the ground for reason that was apparent at the time, but was later learned to be due to Draze trying not to step on one of the MP players.

There was also an injury to one of the Lamonian starting forwards. Kendrick Zingg, starting forward for the Hawks sustained a Acetabular Labrum Tear ( OOC: link ). Zingg was attempting to shoot on goal while a (as of printing time) unidentified streaker tackled him. Zingg is expected to be out of action for at least two to three months, sidelining him for the duration of the AOCAF.

Coach America McNany has called up Forward Gerhardt Gomeric from Lemnos FC to replace him. Gerhardt is expected to be able to suit up for the Hawk's next match against good friends Demot.

The wins against Sarzonia and MP have placed Lamoni in second place in Group D; behind Nojika, who is doing surprisingly well for themselves.
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: Mar 25 2007, 02:36 AM
PMEmail Poster

The Aeropag Tribune—‽

Sports: Capitalizt SLANI’s future in doubt as poor AOCAF form continues
PRONTERA, CH—First, they lost by six goals to world champions Bettia. Then, they lose by five goals to Aurendia. In the Atlantian Oceania Cup of Association Football, the Capitalizts have looked more like Abysmalistan than one of the top ten teams in the world. The Krytenia disaster aside, the only times the team has ever played this badly are against New Montreal States in World Cup 28 and against Kingsford all the way back in World Cup 11 qualifying. And those were only four–nil defeats.

“I don’t think the players are very interested in the competition,” said coach Alejandro Bolúfero after the Aurendia match. “It doesn’t count in the world rankings, hardly any of the fans have bothered to come, and some of us just want to get this over with so there’s more time to prepare for domestic matches.” Asked about the relative performances of Capitalizt SLANI and 자스연 (Jasīʼyūn), he replied, “JSY has something to prove. They’ve never qualified for the World Cup, whereas SLANI and its predecessors have been there a couple dozen times, and even won once. No one sees them as anything but the UCS B-squad. Even if they finish solidly at the bottom of their group, if they can do better than us in something, it’ll be a huge morale boost going into World Cup 34.”

Many people on the Internet have reacted strongly to the situation. One blog claimed that “…with the obvious superiority of the Comets’ players, it is only a matter of time before the CHEAT Alliance digs into its seemingly-endless wallet and takes over in Sokojito City.” Neither 혜성즈 (Hyesūŋjī) coach Davida Yesta nor the CHEAT Alliance chose to comment.

This post has been edited by Commerce Heights on Mar 25 2007, 02:36 AM
Commerce Heights
Royal Scribe
Quote Post

Posted: Mar 25 2007, 04:46 AM
PMEmail Poster

After their interesting match against Vilita & Turori, the Ulzaxid's proved just how quick of learners they are. After the match against Vilita & Turori the team got together and traded notes about what they had learned from the first match. And learn they did. Despite playing against a team who had a few members on the world cup runner up squad, albeit bench members, they earned a stunning 2-1 upset, by far the biggest upset of the cup to this point.

The Ulzaxid's game out quickly slicing through the Az-cz defense. The ability to communicate telepathically means that often it can be difficult to tell what's going on. And amazingly just as in the Vilita & Turori game it was the player copied from the opposing country who scored the goal, with Pizelkaxrovsky heading home a nice cross from Juan Tzmices in the 8th minute.

Things only got better for the morphs, as they had figured out to quickly shift from defense to attack and so pulled their strikers a bit more towards the back, hence allowing them to hold Az-cz out of the goal area and set up a lightning quick counter attack. Khim Azanulbizarn made a wicked take away, got the ball to Pizelkaxrovsky who swung it forward to Simeone Di Bradini who blasted in the second goal. The stadium was dead silent at that point as the Az-czzers were stunned out of their mind at what was happening and Ulzaxid's were slightly congratulating through telepathy only.

And that was the score after the first half. The Az-czid coach apparently gave a rousing speech as the Gnomes came out strong in the second half. They produced a number of chances, but the lightning quick monkey/ferret reflexes of Adam Vernazza in goal allowed him to parry or catch most of the shots.

The Gnomes finally broke through in the 73rd minute with Ho-Lee Chung curling in a one timer off a pass from Shockey. However the Ulzaxids didn't panic and in fact ratcheted up their attack. Only great goal tending kept them from a third goal and the extra point for 3 goals scored.

Despite that, the win propelled Ulzaxid into second place with a game in hand on most teams in their group. Vilita & Turori are well clear, but other than that all six teams are in play for the three qualifying spots.

Stuart Abdul-Rahim held another press conference after the match. "I told you we'd learn quickly. While we expect to have more struggles, and we haven't incorporated the physical movements into natural movement yet, but we do learn things quickly. It was a good experience and the team really enjoyed themselves."
Ulzaxid
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Mar 25 2007, 05:42 AM
PMEmail Poster

Pasco Punished

Brian Cahill reporting from Sukatra, Bettia.

I’m not sure Javi Chavez could have wished for a better match to start off his tenure as coach as the men in blue and white completed a straight forward win over debutants West Pasco. Coming in to it, those foreign media’s that had previewed Group B didn’t seem to think much of the Hyppos’ chances, describing the side as a “question mark”. But that question mark became an exclamation point as the Autocracy’s finest routed the West Pasco Cretins and secured a bonus point along the way.

Sadly for the them Cretins’ coach, Wade Boydkin, had added some fuel to what should have been a fairly uneventful fixture with some ill-advised comments on local Pasco station SNTV (we assume the S & N stand for slightly nonsensical but that would be a horrendous misuse of the word slightly). His strange comments about the Hyppos’ second kit, namely about it being both “pink” and “gay”, was played to the side in the dressing room prior to kickoff. And just to add to the situation the players donned the claret second strip for the game as the blue and white first choice clashed too much with Pasco’s nasty blue and yellow kit.

And so to the game and as expected the Cretin’s failed to put up any real resistance. With a mere thirteen minutes on the clock it was game over as Alex Sousa scored his and the nation’s second, adding to his first scored four minutes after the kickoff. That took his personal tally to eighteen AOCAF goals. Sousa’s status as the chief dangerman led to him being singled out by the Cretin’s defence and six minutes before the break he was clattered by the kind of “challenge” from Halle that would have earnt the centreback a spell in a labour camp back in the Autocracy. It did lead to a red card.

Unsurprisingly Sousa didn’t appear again after the restart but three minutes into the second half his replacement, Darren Griffin, broke through and, roared on by the blue and white army, tucked in number three. That third goal was particularly significant as it secured a bonus point for the side. As the half went on the Pasco players offered nothing to suggest they could find a way back into it. Their best chance smashed the top of Kutasi’s crossbar and ended somewhere in row G. At the other end Razin nodded in Baxter’s cross to make it 4 - 0 and a fine first day at the office for Chavez.

Hypocria 4 - 0 West Pasco
Sousa (2)
Griffin (Sub)
Razin

“It’s always nice when the opposition do my team talk for me”, coach Chavez told the post match press conference. “I guess I should thank Boydkin for making my job that a little easier today.”

It was a good day all round for the Autocracy as two of the teams expected to challenge in Group B suffered unexpected losses. The Starblaydi downward spiral continued with a 3 - 1 reversal against the Horse Botherers of Milchama in Akani Sands. While in Tamrida, fresh from hosting the World Cup, Quakmybush came back down to earth with a bump thanks to a single goal win for lowly Amarenthe. Which, after one round of games, leaves Hypocria flying high at the top of Group B.

Next . . .

Hypocria v Milchama (Al-Fath Stadium, Sukatra)
Hypocria
Experienced Senator
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Mar 25 2007, 06:28 AM
PMEmail Poster

Amda-Mo: A stunning 2-1 loss leaves the team grasping for answers.

Lur-Mn: Indeed, this is not the start of the competition we'd have hoped for. Playing the two teams expected to finish bottom of the table to have a .500 record and even goal differential is not good. It's only going to get harder.

Amda-Mo: What's the problem exactly?

Lur-Mn: I hate to say it, cause he's a good friend of mine, but it could be that Zax-Im's not ready to be a head coach yet. He's done a great job working under coach Khim and coach Hawdon, and should be an asset for whoever the next coach is, but perhaps he isn't ready yet.

Amda-Mo: Why do you say that?

Lur-Mn: I don't know. I can't point at things that he's done wrong per se, but a lack of preperation is the only thing that could explain a loss to a team that was literally standing around and watching thier opponents in their previous match.

Amda-Mo: Some people are starting to say that we need to give the AOCAF more serious consideration and send our full on senior side. What do you think about that?

Lur-Mn: It's just not practical. We saw what happened last time we sent our full senior squad. No points. The run of qualifiers and world cup takes a lot of energy. With what get's expended their older players simply don't have the juice to also play in the AOCAF. Plus this is the best competition to blood our younger players. No, we've just got to do better with the younger squad.

Amda-Mo: What positives can we draw from the first two matches?

Lur-Mn: Not a whole lot. Za-Rv's looked good. He's making a case for inclusion on the senior squad. That's it really. We've only scored two goals to this point, which is embarassing. The only really good thing is that the other top teams in Bazalonia and Krytenia are also stumbling along, so we're still well alive for spots. It helps to have a game in hand, but might not matter as that extra game is Vilita & Turori.

Amda-Mo: Next up is Krytenia. What should we expect?

Lur-Mn: Who knows. Although the two teams are familiar with each other, we've never actually met in official competition. I'm going to be optimistic and say Zax-Im shows his true coaching skills in getting the team focused back in and ready to go, but really anything could happen.

Amda-Mo: I'll hope with you as well. Find us back here soon.
Az-cz
Senator in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Mar 25 2007, 09:47 AM
PMEmail Poster

Horses Whipped

Brian Cahill reporting from Sukatra, Bettia.

After the stroll in the park that was matchday 1 the second round of games brought a slightly more significant challenge. Milchama, a nation the fans back home simply love to hate. It doesn’t matter how many years have passed since that ill fated World Cup playoff match, the bitter memories linger. On the plus side victories against the Horse Botherers mean just that little bit more. The elation following the 3 - 2 group win four years ago lasted long into the night. As did the celebrations follow this even bigger win.

Strangely there wasn’t a horse in sight as the two teams took to the pitch at Sukatra's Al-Fath Stadium, roared on by nearly 48,000 blue and white clad fans amongst the 60,000 attendance. Perhaps after the defeat in Myrtannia the Milchama management were looking to try a more orthodox style against the Autocracy’s finest. The horse may still be knocking around somewhere in Bettia, there is no Milchama roster as yet, but there was no equine influence in Sukatra. Perhaps there should have been as, with eleven against eleven, Milchama were outclassed.

The early stages saw both sides testing the water which led to twenty fairly uneventful and rather dull minutes. But then the Hyppos’ exploded into life. Hunter, the captain, hit a racking ball from the right back position to Razin on the left wing. The winger strode forward before picking out Vardanyan with an inch perfect cross and the striker bulleted a header past the keeper for 1 - 0. Unfortunately the Hyppos’ have a history of defensive inadequacies and that continued when Ocella failed to cut out a routine through ball and a Milchama attacker kept his cool to level the game. The half finished with nothing separating the two sides.

The teams re-emerged having clearly been given a reminder of the attacking nature of this tournament. A mere five minutes into the half and it could have been 2 - 2. Kutasi pulled off a great save to claw away a header at one end. And his save was bettered at the other end a minute later when Sousa’s snapshot was blocked. The Hyppos’ did edge in front a little later and it was Sousa once again who made the break through. Baxter was brought down twenty five yards out from the Milchama goal and Sousa curled the deadball over the wall and just under the angle of post and bar. It wasn’t long before 2 - 1 became 3 - 1. It followed a mistake by the Milchama keeper. He came to punch Razin’s cross, failed to get a decent touch and the ball fell to Marica who swept in his first international goal. It was a goal that certainly guaranteed one point and hopefully another three to add to it. But the old failings returned again and Teale’s soft backpass was intercepted and the Autocracy was pegged back again. Fortunately it wouldn’t matter as, with the seconds ticking away, Marica shot through a crowded penalty area for his second and the nation’s fourth.

Hypocria 4 - 2 Milchama
Vardanyan
Sousa
Marica (2)

Meanwhile, down in Akani Sands, Starblaydia finally got their campaign back on track. The former champions batted new boys Jasi’yun aside by a 4 - 1 scoreline. And the Cretins somehow managed to get some points on the board over in Tamrida following their 1 - 0 win over Amarenthe.

During the Hyppos’ day off their three main rivals all recorded wins. Quakmybush beat Jasi’yun 2 - 0, Milchama overcame the Cretins 2 - 1 and Starblaydia outplayed Amarenthe 3 - 0. So after three rounds of games Hypocria remained on top with eight points, ahead of Starblaydia on goal difference. Milchama are a point further back and behind them are Quakmybush, West Pasco and Amarenthe, all on three points. Jasi’yun prop up the rest with no points to their name as yet.

Next. . .

Hypocria v Starblaydia (Shubunkin Park, Akani Sands)
Hypocria
Experienced Senator
Quote Post

MSNTop

Posted: Mar 25 2007, 12:33 PM

RP-cutoff for MD4. So there. Nyerr.
Bettia
We don't do defence
Quote Post

AOLYahooTop

Posted: Mar 25 2007, 06:24 PM
PMEmail Poster

Woodstock Daily Mail

Stars can't chip past Manhattan Prime

By Travis West
Daily Mail Staff Writer

Ryoga Bay, Bettia (25 March 2007) -- Sarzonian national team manager Alan Whittsig wanted his team to play better defence after conceding a total of four goals in two matches. He also wanted his team to get a 90 minute result after playing an extra 30 minutes in each of the first two matches.

He only got half of what he wanted. Sarzonia's defence stepped it up, limiting an attack-oriented Manhattan Prime side to one goal from the penalty spot and actually outshooting the Chippers 17-11, with nine of Sarzonia's shots on goal compared to Manhattan Prime's six, but the Stars offence failed them in a 1:0 defeat at Polperro Park.

"I told the lads they needed to play tighter defence," Whittsig said, shaking his head and giving an exasperated sigh as he entered the press room following the match. "They played well defensively, but we just didn't do well enough with our chances."

Indeed, forward Matt Lynch had the best chance for the Stars, nearly putting them ahead in the 34th minute after he split left back Hitoshi Akita and centre back John Clarke and sent a ball through with pace, but goalkeeper Clive Hilton did well to get a finger on it and watch the ball graze off the crossbar for a corner kick. Forward Reese Nichols sent the ensuing corner straight into the grasp of a leaping Hilton.

"I thought I had it," a dejected Lynch said, seemingly hiding his eyes behind a towel he had been using to cover his midsection until he slipped on a pair of jeans. "Then I look up and the referee's signaling corner."

Manhattan Prime got on the scoreboard just eight minutes after that sequence as Vykk Dreygo beat the Sarzonian defence for a clear shot on goalkeeper Erik Conyer. However, Conyer tackled Dreygo and the referee signaled both a red card for a dangerous tackle and a penalty.

That forced veteran backup goalkeeper Frank Albright onto the pitch without a chance to warm up, though Albright said he wouldn't have had a chance on the well-struck penalty even if he had been the starter.

"That ball just had too much pace and their guy was very deceptive," Albright said. "No way I stop that."

With Conyer sent off, that forced Sarzonia to abandon its 4-4-2 formation as Whittsig sent Albright in for Nichols, using a 4-4-1 formation until late in the second half, when he sent in Mike Sloan for defender Ted Philyaw. Meanwhile, Sarzonia will be without Conyer for a match against Nojika that Whittsig is calling "crucial" if the Stars are to harbour any hopes of advancing past the group stage. He said young goalkeeper Kelvin Russell would start against Nojika.

"I've always said that if I needed to go to my reserve goalkeepers, Albright would come in off the bench to finish out a match and Russell would start," Whittsig said. "I don't think Russell has enough experience yet to calm down a team in the event their starting goalkeeper is unable to continue, but I believe he has all the talent in the world to be a great keeper someday."

Sarzonia currently sit level with Ubundi for fifth place, three points behind Delesa for the fourth and final berth in the knockout stages. Whittsig said he told his team he needed them to play a complete match, "90 minutes, 120 minutes, I don't care. We just need a convincing outright win and some luck to fall our way."
Sarzonia
It's all about the Navy.
Quote Post

Posted: Mar 25 2007, 11:30 PM
PMEmail Poster

Starksville Sun-Herald
“Whatever. Just read it.”

Raptors drop another close one, fall to sixth in standings

CEFFINTON, BETTIA – Coming into AOCAF XIX, Team Aurendia has developed a reputation throughout the region as an inconsistent team; capable of beating anyone on a good day, but more often failing to play up to their potential. At the halfway mark of the opening round, the Raptors find themselves living up to this reputation.

The opening day of competition saw a 2-1 loss to a Schiavonia squad making their regional debut. Following the day two bye, the Raptors rebounded in a big way with a 5-0 routing of equally new Capitalizt SLANI. From this high point the team regressed, getting shut-out by a quiet Nedalia squad in a low-scoring affair on Day Four. With three games in the bag and three more to go, the Raptors thus find themselves on the outside looking in as regards advancement to the round of 16.

Three points are what currently separate Aurendia from qualification. If the Raptors wish to avoid an early trip home, they will likely need many more points than that. That is of course easier said than done, as group heavyweights Bettia and Pacitalia are among the opponents the Raptors can look forward to in the next three matches. The first of these match-ups will come very shortly, against the Blue Foxes from Pacitalia. Pacitalia will enter the match atop the standings in Group A, with a perfect 3-0 record and three bonus points in the standings, thanks to a high-powered offense that has managed at least three goals in each of those victories. The Raptors will then play their fourth straight match at Heol Angharyd, against an Atheistic Right squad hungry to restore AOCAF glory lost to long absence. To finish up the opening round, the Raptors have a trip to the home stadium of hosts Bettia, for a match-up against the World Cup champions.
Aurendia
Scribe in Training
Quote Post

Posted: Mar 26 2007, 01:05 AM

Hawks fly high over Demot

The Free Republic and Demot might have a non-aggression and defensive treaty, but that doesn't mean a thing when it comes to the AOCAF. Defending champs Lamoni came out swinging in a 3-1 win that places them atop Group D, edging out Nojika on Goal Difference.

When the match was over, there was cheering in bars all over Lamoni, and not just because of the win. It was about what the win signified... the Hawks are back in AOCAF form. As is to be expected, Hawks fans are still feeling the effects of Lamoni's two straight AOCAF cup wins, and are again on the upswing as a third AOCAF cup is looking to be a real possibility. The fans know that the Hawks have to get through the group stages and knockouts, but come on... who among the AOCAF winners DOESN'T understand footballing passion? Even those nations who have yet to win an AOCAF not only understand, but play with high levels of footballing passion.

Anyway, back to the match. In all honesty, there wasn't much to cheer about (on either side) until the last thirty minutes of the match. The first sixty minutes were what even a profound man would call 'dull.' Lamoni outplayed their Demot counterparts... it was just that no one could score as two well-performing goalkeepers were doing their job.

The Hawks scored first, at sixty minutes in. New Forward Gerhardt Gomeric scored his first international goal in his first international appearance. When asked why she put an international novice on the AOCAF squad, Coach McNany replied, "Gomeric might have a lack of international appearances, but he has a bright future ahead of him. One of the things that has impressed my during my Lamonian tenure is the depth of talent that Lamonian footballing produces. They might not have international superstars like the Starblaydi Di Brandini, but they emphasize team play with individual effort. They cover the basics, and get even better all the time. The 3-5-2 neutral (neutral = 0 modifier) formation might not be what I would go with, but it is working wonders here."

Drugah Farani scored the second Lamonian goal, with Gomeric scoring his second international goal to put the game out of reach for Demot. Demot's only non goalkeeper related bright spot in the match was during the 70th minute when David Masteron scored Demot's only goal of the match.

The Hawks face AOCAF newcomers Ubundi next. "Matches against AOCAF newbies are always a challenge," Coach McNany said, "on the one hand, they are still learning what they need to learn in order to compete, but you can get some rather 'interesting' results against teams with a long footballing history that are entering the AOCAF as well."
Lamoni
Democratic Maniac
Quote Post

AOLYahooMSNTop

Posted: Mar 26 2007, 01:53 AM

'Foxes play swift and cunning footy in big, bad win over Bettia
Four goals means another bonus point for the Pacitalians

GABALFA, BETTIA (PSN)
-- The 'Roras still don't have the Foxes' number in AOCAF football competition.

With captain Veranace d'Amantano fully recuperated from his flu/jetlag scare that kept him out of action against Nedalia, the Blue Foxes looked unstoppable, combining for four goals against a fatigued Bettia side that could not pull through and deliver victory to its expectant home crowd. Pacitalia was quicker to the football and held the ball for much of the 90 minutes in the match, in downing Bettia 4-2 and taking back the lead in Group A after an idle day.

As predicted by Pacitalian manager Sergei Saganyarov, it was a war of offensive attrition between the two talented squads. Pacitalian goals came early: two from star forward Ambrosino Giurimano in the first twenty-two minutes set the stage for d'Amantano's goal in the 34th. The first half was all-Blue Foxes, with the Pacitalians out to a fast 3-0 start. But Bettia came back with two, one to start the second half and a second with ten minutes remaining, closing the gap to 3-2, before right-midfielder Andreos Charisteas pocketed a beauty in the 87th to seal the deal for the Blue Foxes.

"They should be proud of this effort," Saganyarov said. "They can go through the rest of the group stage knowing that their two hardest matchups are done with and that the results are what we wanted. But we still can't get overconfident. The next three teams want a knockout berth as much as we do, so we'll keep playing hard."

Most of the Blue Fox squad was happy to see another bonus point chalked up.

"It's like having another tally in the win column, so it's pretty good," remarked Giurimano. "I still don't know whether we're all convinced it's the best system, but I suppose if you work for as many goals as you can, you'll get a win and a nice little side-reward for your efforts. It seems with this system that your level of work directly translates into total points in general."

"It's an interesting way of doing the standings, that's for sure," chimed in goalkeeper Cristianu Raduvani, who looked a tad shaky (possibly fatigued) in goal in the second 45 minutes. "We'll see whether we like it at the end of the group stage."

It's Aurendia next for the Blue Foxes on match day five. The hosts, who trudged off the field visibly upset with the result (though they were gracious in defeat), get a draw with the Atheistic Right squad, who nearly upset Pacitalia on the opening day of the tournament. It should be a rebound match for the Aroras, who will be looking to stay in the top three in the group.

From Gabalfa, Bettia:
Bettia 2 : 4 Pacitalia

BET: Susanti 49' / Heighton 80'
PAC: Giurimano 11', 22' / d'Amantano 34' / Charisteas 87'

NEXT UP: AUR v PAC, BET v ATR
Pacitalia
The best place on earth.
Quote Post

AOLMSNTop

Topic OptionsReply to this topicMake a quick replyStart PollStart new topic
Pages: (8) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... Last »

[ Script Execution time: 0.0218 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]